How much memory can my G5 Hold?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pmourraille, Feb 27, 2008.

1. pmourraille macrumors newbie

I have a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo IMac G5 and I am looking to max out it's memory capacity. I have heard that 3GB RAM is the most this machine can handle. I also heard that you can possible go up to 4GB... is this true?

Also, I recently bought a 2GB chip, but it doesn't fit. does anyone know the proper chip specs so that I can switch it out for the proper one.

Thanks!!!

2. mac'in'toss'ed macrumors member

3. pmourraille thread starter macrumors newbie

Memory chip problems

It is an Intel Mac... Also, I bought what I thought was the appropriate 2GB Memory chip from crucial, but it seems to not fit! I have to force it in the slot to get it in. Maybe they just made a mistake and sent me the wrong chip.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

All Intel CoreDuo/Core2Duo Macs take the same RAM - DDR2-667 SODIMMs. (pls. don't add G5 to the model name, it's confusing and not accurate)

First of all, observe the diagram near the RAM sockets of your machine. The RAM has a slot in the contact edge that must match up with the key in the socket. It only goes in one way. Make sure you have it oriented correctly before installing. (the label on the RAM does NOT necessarily go face up)

The socket is tight - you push it in, and it goes in one inch or so and stops, then you have to get both thumbs on it and push it hard and it goes in 1/8" more.

The 2.16 Core2Duo will take 4 GB RAM, but you will be able to use 3.0 - 3.2 GB of that total

Answers to this and many other questions are under the Guides tab at the top of this window

MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM