How much memory for retouching photos with Photoshop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gottabegood, Nov 23, 2015.

1. gottabegood macrumors newbie

Hello,

My sister wants to purchase a new iMac. She will mainly use it for retouching photos using Photoshop. Will 8Gb of memory be sufficient?

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Yes, 8GB is more than enough for those things. What model are you looking at currently? Whatever model you choose, I'd recommend getting an SSD over the stock hard drive.

3. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! She is getting the 2.8 GHZ through a 3rd party because of how it will be financed so she is stuck with the stock hard drive.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The stock model? I REALLY don't recommend that she stays with the stock hard drive, as it is 5400RPM, meaning you get speeds of around 50 MBps, which is horrible (a normal hard drive goes to around 100 MBps, a SATA SSD (the regular ones) goes to around 500 MBps, and a PCIe SSD (those in most Macs) go to around 1 GBps). If possible, get an SSD, or at the very least a fusion drive.

5. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am going to try to convince her. That would mean a different means of payment though since it is going to be financed by someone else who has an account where she is planning on getting it which is not through Apple. I'll see if she can somehow finance it through Apple to get the better drive.

6. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

May I ask where do you live? Apple does actually offer financing in many countries, and in the US, up to 18 months, so you may want to take a look at that.

7. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

8 gigs is more than enough for most photoshop users. And if down the road she starts doing things more demanding, it's cheap and super simple to add in more. The hdd is going to slow things down a bit, I'd suggest the fusion drive if at all possible.

Then again, if you're tech savy enough, it's not that difficult to remove and replace the harddrive with a hybrid drive you can pickup elsewhere dirt cheap. It's not EASY by any means, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never taken a computer apart before. But the harddrive is something you can replace later should you want to. ;)

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The OP seems to be looking at the 21.5" model, which does not have upgradable RAM in any shape or form.

9. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, she lives in the US so that option may be available to her.

10. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info on the hard drive.

11. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the 1.6 model with the flash storage be a better option than the 2.8 with the stock drive if she had to choose between the two?

12. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Avoid the 1.6 GHz model at all costs. It's pretty much the performance of a MacBook Air.

13. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, got it!

14. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I just talked to her. And she is planning to get the 3.1. She says the 4k display will be of great benefit to her for color matching.

15. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Sweet, but the same thing still applies, upgrade to the 256GB SSD for excellent storage speeds.

16. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thanks! I'm working on it.

17. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Since budget is a real issue, I highly suggest getting the fusion drive. You can get far more storage space for your money and the performance is going to be next to nothing different for most tasks. For someone like me I don't mind having external storage but ugh those ssds fill up so fast.

18. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks!

19. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

8 gigs is ok if your just doing minor adjustments in PS. Any serious editing, and itll start to drag.

20. gottabegood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

21. campyguy macrumors 68030

Too many in MR's forums don't mention what a fast scratch disk can do for PS's performance. Get a fast scratch disk, too - Google it. I've beat that drum here before.