iPad mini How much memory is there in the iPad Mini (non-r)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hugh, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Hugh, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013

Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Just as it says. How much memory is there in the iPad Mini (Non-r)? Will I have any problems running iOS 7? Does it have the same or less memory of the 5th gen iPod Touch?

Thanks!

Hugh

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Both the current non-retina iPad mini and base iPod touch have 16 GB of flash and 512M of RAM and have an A5 processor running at 1GHz.

B

3. terminator-jq macrumors regular

The original iPad mini has 512mb of ram. I'm not sure what the speed of the ram is but it's decent for most task. My iPad mini came with iOS 6 and it was plenty fast. Crashes were very rare and I could easily have around 5 apps open without one of them closing (depending on the app).

The only times I ran into trouble was when running memory hungry apps like Pages. When creating complicated documents the app would run slow, freaze and then eventually crash. You also may have trouble if you have more than 3 tabs open in safari (depending in the complexity of the website).Overall, the iPad mini is no power house, but it performs good enough for most task.

iOS 7 though is a different story. After updating my mini, the performance dropped considerably. The iPad was still good for most task but the smoothness factor was greatly reduced. I ended up selling my iPad mini a couple weeks after updating. I replaced it with the retina ipad mini and the difference is night and day.

The economy is bad and money is tight for most of us, but if you can afford the extra $100 I would highly suggest going for the retina ipad mini. The retina screen, 1gig of ram and the better processor makes a world of difference, even for the most simple task.

4. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

iPad mini 1 has 512MB of RAM just like iPad 2, iPhone 4 and 4S and iPod Touch 5...

5. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks for the info. :) In what should I look for in a case for it (I don't have it yet, it will be here Tuesday.)?

I have this nifty case for my 4th gen iPod Touch that the army uses, or at least they should. LOL :D Anything like that for the iPod mini.

Oh one last question, can it be charged plugged in the computer, or does it still use the stand alone adaptor?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions! :D

Hugh

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It can be charged by being plugged into either, but it charges slower when plugged into your computer's USB port.