How much memory per DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jimmy.apple.fan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Jimmy.apple.fan macrumors member

Hi....

After much messing about with Handbrake, VLC etc I have managed to get it working & downloaded 4 DVDs which are now showing in shared on different apple devices...perfect for the kids and what i intended.....

Main concern is how much space they are taking up on the 1TB Fusion Drive.....firstly how do i view how much storage space each individual DVD is taking up & secondly is there different ways available to download/compress files to still be able to view for streaming but take up less space on the HD...

thanks in advance.

James

2. simsaladimbamba

Right-click on the folder or file and select GET INFO to see the size.

A ripped DVD takes about 4 to 8 GB, a transcoded DVD, which results in a smaller file, takes 1 to 1.5 GB per main title, thus 1 TB should more than suffice.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":

3. mfram macrumors 65816

There are lots of knobs to tweak when trans-coding the videos to M4V format. You can get a movie down to 400-500 MB if you tweak enough (lower the resolution, etc.). The way I typically encode movies (at relatively high quality), it ends up being 800 - 1200 MB or so per movie. That's a whole lot better than the 4000 - 8000 MB a DVD will be depending on the movie.