How much memory should I give Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darkmoon12198, Jun 26, 2010.

1. darkmoon12198 macrumors newbie

I have a 140GB HD on my Aluminum MacBook (not a Pro). I am probably going to be playing games on it, a lot. Most files will be from 1-5GB. How much should I give it? I am not using my Mac partition for anything but school work. Should I just give it 40-45GB?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well how much space are you going to be using in Windows? What OS are you installing? Where did you get a 140GB harddrive?

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think snow leopard and iLife take about 30 GB if I remember correctly. So you would probably want about 50 GB for it to run smoothly, and add more if you want to put pictures and music on the mac partition. Then give about 80-100 GB for windows. I would also make a third FAT32 partition, about 20 GB, for saving your school files and allowing access for both windows and mac.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

5. GidbinN macrumors member

GidbinN

Agree

And I'd say the bigger the better, I mean even if Windows takes more than half of your hard drive, it will be only 70GB, thats not enough for games and other media.

You either only use Mac OS as an additional OS, so it takes less than 40GB, and Windows uses 100GB or 120GB, it might be a little bit tight in some case, (before burning DVDs, or storage for downloaded stuff).

Conclusion:
    320GB+ hard drive
    or
    Give up Mac OS

or not, good luck :)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed. A 320 or 500 GB drive is cheap and easy to install in the Aluminum MacBook.

My rule of thumb is 20-25% of the total drove size for Windows if that doesn't leave you enough for os x or Windows: Get a bigger drive.

B