Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
I noticed that the original youtube video that started the whole thing off has, at the time of writing this, a staggering 64,552,208 views :eek:

How much money could that video have earned them?

Pretty much every youtube tech blogger subsequently jumped on the bandwagon with many of them running up hundreds of thousands of views of their videos.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Probably enough to write off the cost of the iPhones that got destroyed.

YouTube money works in mysterious ways, the exact amount is unknown :confused:

Middiebear

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
It's possible to make A LOT of money off of YouTube views.

About 1,000,000 views can easily bring in 500-1,000 a month...

So imagine what over 63,000,000 views will pay.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
It depends if the account was set up to be monetized (I'm sure it was), what type of ads play during your video and what type of ads set-up you have.

I get $4 for every 1,000 views for an ad banner at the bottom of the video, about $15 for every 1,000 views for an ad that plays before my video (those that you have to wait 5 seconds to skip) and I get more than $20 for every 1,000 views if I play an ad that can not be skipped.

You get more money if a company like Pepsi plays an ad during your video vs some general ad.

I've never watched the bendgate video so I have no idea what type ads that channel used, but maybe you can gather an idea based on what I get (though everyone does get different fees).

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
What about using adblockers on YouTube. I wonder if YouTube knows when people are blocking ads and so they are missing out on money.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm more interested in knowing how much Android smartphone manufacturers made from Bendgate.
Not an awful lot by the looks of things. If anything I think Apple's closest competitor made even less than the previous year without bendgate.

It is funny how 'bendgate', 'Scuffgate', 'Antennagate' all go away pretty quickly too and profits still rise steadily.

JasonD12

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
UK
Google normally only pays cents for each view, even those there were over 64 million views they be lucky to make a lot off all the traffic - The only way people would make money if they were hosting the video on there own site and then selling off that site accessories etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.