Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I've just started saving money and I think I'm doing pretty good at it! I'm about to turn 18 and have about $800 saved up, I think that's pretty good right? I'm excited!! I don't know what I'm saving up for, maybe an Apple Display! :)

How much do you have saved up and what are you saving up for?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
£160, and deminishing.

No income + Uni + iPhone bill = steadily decreasing bank account.
Christ knows how I'll get through next semester.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think it would also help the thread if you put if it is purely for savings or saving for some purchase. Also income per year and age.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
$30k+ 23 years old... Been working ever since I was 16, plus my first car was paid for (equals no real bills until just recently)

Now I have credit cards, car payments, rent (apartment), other bills which have been slowing down my savings rapidly. I am looking to purchase a house or condo in the very near future.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Plenty.

Let the economy crash and burn. It is somewhat humorous to me to see all those who ridiculed my simplistic, conservative fiscal lifestyle now eating their words as they cut down on bars, expensive clothes, and so forth. I've saved more than enough money to pay cash for any Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, or Lexus and I just let it keep sitting in my bank, making free money as interest, and not spending a ding danged nickel. My wife and I get by just fine and dandy on her "meager" salary, which all her coworkers complain about, but we live comparatively well on. Compared to our old situation, it is the lap of luxury for us!

It isn't about how much money you make, it is about how much you save. We are wealthy far beyond our peers in the same age group because we save like crazy. Every time I think I need something (other than toiletries and food), I wait six months to see if I really need it. Works every time.

I've made exceptions for guns, though, in case of zombies or the apocalypse. My wife made an exception for a new pair of shoes for a Christmas party. But that's about it.

Save, save you Americans! Save and learn to live simple, free, and frugal!

I shouldn't post after three whiskey sours. I love Christmas vacation.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Ehh...I've got about $2500 in the savings. $100 of my paycheck is automatically deposited into it, then I put whatever I have left into it after bills, except the holidays have made sure there's not much left. I don't know what's in my 401k. I probably don't want to know with the way the market has been :eek:

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Not sure I usually give all my money to my parents so they can put it in the bank. I have nothing to worrying about right now maybe trying to find myself a part-time job to save some money for future usage. And I'm not worry about moving out of my parents house..since I'm not going to *grin..* I might find a nice apartment after I finish college..since the school I wanted to go to is pretty close *a 5 minute drive*.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Not sure I usually give all my money to my parents so they can put it in the bank. I have nothing to worrying about right now maybe trying to find myself a part-time job to save some money for future usage. And I'm not worry about moving out of my parents house..since I'm not going to *grin..* I might find a nice apartment after I finish college..since the school I wanted to go to is pretty close *a 5 minute drive*.

if i were you, id open a bank account in your own name and manage it yourself as opposed to having your parents do it all for you

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
I have $1300 in my savings and Im going to be getting $1500 from everybody in my family to be used to buy my new MBP. I'm 14. Just so everybody knows I don't spend all of my money on computers. This is my first computer purchase that I payed for. Once or twice a year I buy something big like a computer or snowboard. Yes, I know I need to save some for later. I set aside some $ for long term saving. I work for about half and the other half I accumulate for doing various things and getting different gifts.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have $1300 in my savings and Im going to be getting $1500 from everybody in my family to be used to buy my new MBP. I'm 14. Just so everybody knows I don't spend all of my money on computers. This is my first computer purchase that I payed for. Once or twice a year I buy something big like a computer or snowboard. I work for about half and the other half I accumulate for doing various things and getting different gifts.

a snowboard in Louisiana? reeealllly? lol just givin ya a hard time;)

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
~$200 in my checking. zero in my savings, ~$30 in my portfolio, and -$50 in my ING account. I need to pay them back lol.

I can't save money for sh*t. I'd really like too, but can't. Dam bills.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I have $1300 in my savings and Im going to be getting $1500 from everybody in my family to be used to buy my new MBP. I'm 14. Just so everybody knows I don't spend all of my money on computers. This is my first computer purchase that I payed for. Once or twice a year I buy something big like a computer or snowboard. Yes, I know I need to save some for later. I set aside some $ for long term saving. I work for about half and the other half I accumulate for doing various things and getting different gifts.

A MBP at 14:eek: jeez you must be doing some heavy computing there for all that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.