How much money do you think resellers LOST today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrAkD, Oct 14, 2011.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I know the scalpers were out in full force but im yet to hear of any stores that actually sold out....if you can walk into a store and buy one no one is going to pay you double for it.....I imagine the overseas scalpers will still make a little but im sure that even got effected since apple is rolling out the international launch so quickly.

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yep. I'm glad that Apple was able to produce enough to meet demand. I hate to see scalpers making money on something like this...

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah its good to see that apple really put in alot of effort after the horror show of the ipad 2 launch.

4. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

iPad is different iPhone is different

just an fyi, the unlocked iPhone 4S not even available, no one is going to take two year to sell the iPhone 4S and make profit (there will be some people not the scalpers)

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Scalpers will make money here in NZ, since the 4S has not yet been launched here and likely won't be for a few months.

But you can't scalp iPhones very well, as they have a limit of 2 per person... hardly worth it to go overseas, get them and bring them back.:confused:

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

iPhone 4S are selling for $975-$1100 on ebay and craigsllist, so they aren't doing too bad...:eek:

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Selling or sold ? I think the old design help to make sure that had enough stock , plus 3 carriers have it now, so ain't the hard to get one as before

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Most of the people buying from ebay or CL are stuck in a contract and can't upgrade w/o paying $649 plus tax and activation fees for the 16GB. The new iPhone 4S is compatible with three carriers plus T-Mobile, so GSM/CDMA are both compatible on every 4S, and that's incentive to buy out of contract via ebay or cl; and yes, selling & sold...

9. Tnnrx7 macrumors member

How much did the resellers lose today?

None.

They had a set amount of inventory, sold them at the set price and made what they should have.

The real question is, how much have these scalpers made from doing this? Answer: A lot.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Canadian iPhone 4S can be purchased unlocked. Guess it's a US thing.

11. rosemary1 macrumors regular

The way the Apple employees were talking at the store I was at today implied that I could have bought my phone for full price if I didn't want to renew my AT&T contract.

12. blunti macrumors 6502a

you can buy unlocked ones in europe. I doubt the europeans give a crap about the US scalpers. My european buddy just walked in and bought unlocked 4s for himself and his gf.

ps: this was in london.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

So why would they pay a scalper $1000 for a phone they can buy legit for $649?

I am sure international buyers will cause some profits, but probably 0 on the domestic side.

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Why?

15. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Because the retail market is for end users, not for resellers.

Legit Resellers have channels through which they can get iPhone supplies for resale.

Apple means for all the retail units to get into the hands of users, so that users can have a good experience getting one.

When Resellers interfere with that they cause a lot of grief to consumers who are unable to get one unit for themselves because some resellers are selling for example 8,000 of them to international buyers.

That 8,000 units could have made 8,000 people very happy instead of very sad (if the product was sold out that is).

I hope all of Apple's product launches are well stocked enough going forward that everyone who wants a device on launch day/week could get one legitimately from Apple.

Again, I must reiterate, the purpose of retail is to sell to end users not to resellers. Informal scalpers are really breaking the rules (and they don't pay taxes on their proceeds either!)

16. coasterswim macrumors 6502

They don't have to pay tax on the proceeds--they've already paid it on the original purchase.

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

They pay sales tax on the purchase and should pay capital gains tax on the sale profit.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The unlocked 4S's are available. I'm writing this post on one now.

19. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Where and how did you get yours?

I thought they didn't go on sale until November.

20. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Slightly off topic but had something interesting happen yesterday. At this point I already had my 4S so I was good. A friend found a guy selling a "16GB 4S" on Craigslist. We went looked at it, and as he was calling I noticed there wasnt a sim slot. I told my friend he had just been had. Luckily, he hadn't given the guy his $$ yet. I wonder how many unknowing, non techy, people who don't have an eye for detail are gonna get screwed like that? It's going to happen, because the two phones are identical and unless u happen to have infinity blade or a photo editing program to check the res of the pic the phone takes it would be hard to tell the difference if u haven't been keeping up in the phone world. Yikes, methinks some people are going to be paying $600-$1000 if not more the next couple of months while the S is is sold out and only end up with a 4.

That said, the 4 runs iOS 5 wonderfully. Much much better than any 4.x release I've ever used.

21. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I was queuing at an Apple Store in the UK and I'm convince almost everyone in the first 50 people were scalpers. There were loads of Chinese people (don't mean to sound racist or anything, lol) and literally every single one of them were buying two 16GB iPhones.
    Looked quite organised too as if it was some sort of school trip, they had clipboards with names on and everything :D

22. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Sold out where I live :(

I wanted 16gb... they do have 33gb but not sure I really need that space for an extra £100

23. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Loads of stores sold out in the uk so I guess they will be making a decent amount here.

24. 7even macrumors 6502a

Wait, wha? Unless the price of the same phone on ebay/cl is less than $649 + tax I don't see how this makes any sense.

25. mcarthon macrumors 6502

Yea let's give the govt more money so they cam waste it!