How much money have you saved by dropping unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CmdrThor, Dec 2, 2011.

?

How much money have you saved by dropping unlimited data?

1. None - the switch has cost me money with overages

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. $1 - $50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $51 - $100

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. $101 - $150

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. $151 - $200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. $201+

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. CmdrThor macrumors member

For AT&T the tiered plans were introduced about 18 months ago. So if you switched to the 2 GB plan immediately and never went over, you should have saved $90 by now. If you are on the 200 MB plan you could have saved up to $270 by now. So for those that dropped unlimited, how much have you saved? Include any overages you've paid as negative in the amount you saved.

For me personally the number is $120. I switched immediately, and also dropped to the 200 MB plan for 3 months, but I no longer have WiFi at work so I need to be on the 2 GB. I probably average 400 MB in data usage now.

If you switched to a tethering plan you don't count since tethering is not available with unlimited.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I switched to tethering, but it's saved me $59.00/mo by letting me cancel my MyFi. The tethering package costs me $15/mo more than the unlimited did, so I'm $44/month ahead. Plus I turn tethering on and off as needed so some months I save even more.

So I voted for $201+ :D

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

A very neat way of presenting the data.

I didn't drop unlimited so I can't vote, but I would say that, for me, the extra money I've spent is what I pay for peace of mind. I don't always go over 2 GB, but I'd hate having to watch the amount I use each day and plan ahead.

I may not use more than 2 GB, but I also never have to think about it.

If I've spent $200 (or whatever it is) for that privilege, so be it.

4. CmdrThor thread starter macrumors member

I agree if you are routinely going over 1GB at least then the peace of mind could be worth it. But for me, I can also never think about it and I am never coming close to 1GB even. But I don't stream Netflix or Pandora, nor do I care to. I figured there might be some people in the same boat as me.

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Well I dropped AT&T after the 3GS and had Verizon and I was paying 180$ at month for 2 lines went to sprint (good coverage here in las Vegas or at least the parts that I commute ) and saved 50$ at month (I moved back in march 2010) so I saved so far 950$ on sprint and got a 4S android is a nice platform but updates sucks on non nexus devices and battery life sucks

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Since I get 25% FAN discount on data on all lines it's not worth to drop unlimited data. FAN discount doesn't apply to $15 data plan anyway. So I'm paying $22.50/line for unlimited data. Even if I went down to the tiered $25 plan the cost for each line would be $18.75 versus $22.50 for unlimited data.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I Saved $75 so far and have zero regrets.

For one thing in the nearly 4.5 years I have owned iPhones I have only gone over 1GB once--and that 1was 1.2GB. I realized all I was doing was helping spread the cost around for those few people who used much more data that I did.

As for peace of mind, I have it and am not in the least concerned about using 3G whenever I need to. My peace of mind is based on the fact that I won't likely ever go over 2GB and if I do it's $10 for another gig. I save that much in just two months. I also never worry about throttling.

But the primary reason I got rid of it was because I could see the handwriting on the wall: AT&T does not like nor want people on unlimited data plans who actually use it. First it was tetherers whom they went after. And now I am seeing reports of throttling for lower amounts of data than I would have expected. One report was barely above 2GB in a month.

Michael

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I also like this way he presented the poll and question. And I too, kept my unlimited so I can't vote either.

I will say that, in the past, I never went over 2GB. However, recently, for some reason, I've been going way over (at least by 500MB-1GB). I'm definitely glad I kept it now.