How much money is the leopard upgrade REALLY going to cost?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coocooforcocoap, Oct 24, 2007.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Hi, i am starting to get emails from app producers for things i have on osx 10.4.10 saying that their program won't work in 10.5 and that they are working on an update (for example candybar) and that the fix for 10.5 will cost! in the case of candybar, as soon as the fix comes out they are dropping support for the tiger version. Hmmm.... is this going to be a trend or an anomaly? thanks for any info i can use for budgeting in '08.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Many developers seem to be saying their next versions will be Leopard-only. But on the flipside, there haven't been a ton of developers saying their apps won't work in Leopard. Candybar is an unsurprising exception because it works to modify the normal behavior of the OS. And Panic has stated that the rest of their apps are pretty much unaffected.

So while you may need Leopard to upgrade apps going forward, I don't think you're going to be generally obligated to upgrade a lot of apps if you upgrade to Leopard.

3. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

well that makes sense. but i am kinda new to mac and don't really know which apps i have are tied to osx or not. what would be really cool is an online db of all the apps affected. i suppose that some of them will be obsolete or no longer needed too. it would be nice to see that listed as well...cheers!

4. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

Sounds more like a way to get money then actual problems working in Leopard.

Try using LiteIcon instead of candybar

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

From my experience most developers offer a free upgrade to the newest versions, if you have paid previously. Don't expect many developers to require payment.

6. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

thanks, the candybar people said it would be a paid upgrade to the leopard version.

7. Selenolycus macrumors regular

Sort of crappish, but it seems it may be half priced (so $7.50).

It's actually sort of lame that OS X can't handle icon changes as well as Candy Bar natively.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i do remember that when tiger first came out, not all apps worked with it first off. but they came around

9. Jocko macrumors member

Yeah I'm gonna start setting aside money now so I can afford that $7.50 in 2008. I love the subject of this thread. Are you blaming Apple? Are you saying that they shouldn't release new operating systems? Did they force you to buy Leopard on launch day? Is $7.50 a big enough deal that you had to create a thread to rant about it? It costs that much to buy a sandwich for lunch!

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why use CandyBar at all? I guess I gave up on all the theme stuff back in the Mac OS Classic days. Just seems to gunk everything up (not sure if this is still true with OS X).

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

I think you'll find people rant about much less than $7.50 on a regular basis.

Some people even rant about people posting for free in a forum, as if it were a necessary part of their lives to "call people out" on their rants.

It is a valid concern. Most apps aren't 7.50. Most apps will work fine with 10.5.

But it would be nice to know about companies who are charging for the updated versions, don't you think?

Somehow I doubt this guy is losing sleep over the situation, or your opinion of him!

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

From what I can tell, the OP isn't blaming anybody, especially Apple. In fact, he is excited that 10.5 is (coming) out. He's just asking what the total cost of ownership is going to be to maintain the same features that he currently has, but add on the functionality of Leopard. If the OS adds a feature that was previously provided by another program, he doesn't need it (the unified UI renders UNO less useful [if UNO required payment]).

Since the OP likely uses several smaller apps, he just wants to figure out what all of the little programs are going to cost. So, $7.50 here, $10 there will add up. Are you going to be as snarky when he's looking at another $130 on top of Leopard to maintain what he has?

In the end, all he asked was if anybody could give him a heads up, or point him to someone who can, on what programs will cost what to be 10.5 compatible.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

With the demise of Classic, I will be forced to migrate from Photoshop 5.0, probably to Elements, and probably to buy MacLink Plus to maintain access to files created in old word processor formats not supported in OSX. About $200.

14. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Most apps will need no updating, some only minor touchups... most which will be free. Apps that integrate with system level modifications, such as CandyBar, and which need extensive changes will cost $$$ to update although I suspect Panic will have discounts from previous owners.

All that said each time a new Mac OS comes out many developers use it as an opportunity to make new versions of their programs that take advantage of new OS features... for a price. You can bet tons of applications will be modified to make use of Core Animation and that those upgrades will cost $$$ but be totally optional as the previous versions will continue to function.