How much more difficult is Final Cut from iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ryuukumori, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

So I have used iMovie for 2 years when making movies for my Japanese class. They actually turn out pretty well!

I was only wondering if I can take it a step further and into Final Cut. How much more of a learning curve is it from iMovie, and is it much more complicated?

Also, would Final Cut work best on a MB or MBP? Thanks for the help guys.

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

put it this way, a 6 year old could cut something in iMovie.

Final Cut is leaps and bounds ahead and a completely different world. There is a steep learning curve indeed.

You should consider Final Cut Express, still very powerful, not too difficult to learn, lots of tutorials and help around the place.

Macbook PRO, for sure. Especially if your cutting HDV

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

It's a big jump from any version of iMovie, but it's a bigger jump from 08 than it is from 06. 06 at least uses a similar timeline, clip splitting, etc. Still miles apart, though.

As far as Express vs. Pro is concerned, don't buy Express because you think it might be "easier". It's not. They're virtually the same program. Pro comes with a few tools made for editing film, and has more effects and transitions. Of course, since it comes in Studio, you also get all the extra programs. Both come with Live Type. Go with Express if you don't need all the other bells and whistles, but don't expect the core program to be any easier.

4. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

don't let them discourage you!
    I'm a grade 12 student, and I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of FCP, and i'm in my third and final year using FCP in high school.
    we start in grade 10, and even some of those kids are alright with it, at only 14 years old.
    and this is on final cut pro, while final cut studio is simpler.
    you can do it, it just takes a little practice, patience, and creativity!

5. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I did manage to jump from 06 iMovie to 08 this year, actually! Not too hard to make the move.

Anyways, thanks so far with the help. So FCP should work best then? I think I'm good at learning new programs anyways.