How much more speed and performance are we talking with this supposed update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggtastic, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I own a 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb HD Macbook Pro that I bought Christmas 2006. It runs great but signs of slowing down are beginning to show. I am considering selling it on ebay to get some $$$ towards the update.

Just curious about the capabilities of this new chip that we might get compared to the core 2 duo. I know my way around a computer but not when talking about computer chips and all that stuff.

Will a new MBP 15' update base model really seem like a huge difference compared to the current model i have now?

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Its not clear to me what you are asking. Are you comparing it to a current MBP? Because new ones will be out shortly and they will be 20 to 30% faster than current models. I would expect better faster video cards to.

3. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am comparing my old MBP (see stats in first post), to the new "refresh" model

4. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

I'm certain you'll see a very noticeable increase in speed with the new model. Everything from opening programs to dragging windows to running iLife stuff to having multiple apps open simultaneously to ripping DVDs will be at least half again as fast...probably more. Plus the extra RAM you can put in the new model makes a huge difference if you want to run Fusion or Parallels.

My advice is to go to an Apple Store or Best Buy after they come out and play with it a little while so you can see if the speed difference is enough for you to upgrade.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

New ones will be considerably faster. It's a brand new microarchitecture. Your computer is old enough that it probably won't depreciate significantly after the update. However, you have the best chance of getting the most money now.

6. jodr macrumors member

This seems like...a slight exaggeration? I know they're faster, but more than twice as fast??

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

Probably about 40-50% faster- enough to notice but you will probably enjoy the new unibody design just as much. If you're strapped for cash, spending $500 on a 160GB x-25M intel SSD will do more for your perceived performance than buying the new version. I usually try and update only every other intel architecture, so my 1.8ghz core duo (1st gen! MBP) is definitely due for an update, as the new ones are almost 3x as fast as my model.

8. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

Half again as fast = 50% faster, not twice as fast.

9. Spandexman macrumors regular

To get a very specific measurement, download geekbench and compare your score to the leak of the new i7 mbp. How that will compare to real world use I don't know, but it seems to be an OK yardstick.

10. jodr macrumors member

:eek:
    Absolutely no clue how I misread what you typed there...apologies.

11. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

A newer/faster HDD alone will do wonders for the perception of speed with the new Mac.

I can't tell for the new processors but from your machine I'm sure it will be a significant bump.