how much needs to change for Time Machine to back it up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrklaw, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Just started using Time Machine (have it doing my first backup now)

Thinking about which folders to exclude. I currently have only my parallels folder and DV capture folder excluded (have that backed up elsewhere). So it is backing up my videos and music. I figured my music is pretty static so its worth the initial hit to backup as I'd want one backup of it anyway.

but how much needs to change in a file to trigger Time Machine to back it up? If I play a music track, or video, will Time Machine back it up? (thinking the playcount goes up, changing the file). What about if I sync to ipod or apple TV? does that change the original?

basically I want to avoid Time Machine really bloating my HDD and wasting time backing stuff up that isn't really needed. I want my music/videos backed up but can cope with losing playcounts/ratings etc.

Should I just manually (or using Backup) back my music videos up?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Only 1 bit in the file needs to change. Perhaps even 0, if a program writes the same data to the file as is already there it will be "changed".

I don't think playcounts get stored in the files themselves: they get stored in the iTunes library database file.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Playcounts and ratings are stored in the library.

Don't backup Paralells with Time Machine as otherwise the whole image will be backed up each time.