How much noise do the imacs make?

noaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Seoul
I bought a macbook pro with retina display(with maximum settings availabe) a month ago and tested some intensive games such as skyrim and battlefield 3.
The frame rate was fairly endurable for me, but what I could not tolerate was its annoying noise which started once I launched games. I do know apple did a lot of work do deal with noise on MBPr, but it kept me annoyed during the play.

I would like to ask Imac users if your imacs make as much noise as MBPr when playing high-spec requiring games. Considering the thinness of newly reported imac, how do you think apple took care of noise? especially with GTX675mx and 680?

Last edited:

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Recently I've been playing Borderlands 2 on a Mid-2011 (3.4GHz i7, 24GB memory, 256GB SSD+2TB HDD, AMD RADEON 6970M 2GB). The GPU is also having to deal with a 27" LED Cinema Display plugged into one of the Thunderbolt ports. I have the CPU fan speed baseline increased by 200rpm, and the GPU (optical) fan speed baseline increased by 400rpm, and they have a more aggressive temperature ramp.

I have the game running at 1920x1080, 16xAF, FSAA, and High Quality for everything but PhysX. The game averages 60fps, and the iMac is effectively silent even after a 6-hour session... including while playing videos in YouTube (in Chrome) while playing the game and maintaining a VOIP session over Skype.

If it makes noise, you have to put your ear next to the vent to hear a faint whisper.

spcdust

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I have to agree, the noise of the fans even when they are ramped up during GPU intensive activities is well with acceptable limits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.