How Much of a 160GB HD Do I Partition for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nyycavo24, Feb 18, 2010.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I'm going to be installing it right after I finished up with a long movie I've been making.

2. hollyw0od macrumors member

How much ever you want. You don't need much, and depending on what your doing, how many programs, etc. you'll be installing, should be the determining factor.

But if you just want something to throw around . . . 50GB should be more than enough.

3. SpokaneMac macrumors newbie

SpokaneMac

I loaded XP onto my new mini with 10 GB... after loading in the printers and other misc software I still have 7 GB left....Runs fine so far.

4. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

All I needed for Windows to be was "activeX runtime" for some stupid websites that only work with Internet Explorer, so 32 GB is more than enough for me.

5. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to be using the Windows partition to play WarCraft III and maybe Starcraft II when it comes out. I was thinking of partitioning 15GB....will this be enough for this particular use?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was using 10 GB for a very long time and just upped that to ~30 GB last week. Since the process of resizing the partitions can be quite arduous, I'd suggest going for the largest possible size you can tolerate up front.

My current rule of thumb is 20-25% of the total drive. i.e. ~120 GB on my 500 GB drives and 32 GB on my 160 GB.

B

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

No, games take up a lot of space. I would suggest going with at least 30 GB for old games, and at least 50 gb if you plan on playing new games. I wonder if your particular mac will even be able to play starcraft II? Do you have a mini?

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

128 GB/ 32 GB split would probably be best in your case.