How much of Icloud do you use?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I am not a big fan of Apple's vision of the cloud.

Besides contacts synching it's pretty useless to power users.

I like to create my own folders. Store my own PDF password protected documents in the cloud. Upload individual photos to the cloud.

That's why I think Microsoft One Drive/sky drive is superior. Dropbox is also very good.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i only use about 0.2 GB, i back up everything except mail and photos.

I have my 64GB phone filled (i sync to my mac) so there would be no use in backing up my pictures, they would never fit on iCloud.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
For picture backup I use Dropbox and sky drive. I use iCloud for contacts and settings. I have iTunes Match for my music. iCloud simply does not allow enough space for all my photos and videos. Skydive works VERY well for photo and videos... Plus they give you an ADDITIONAL 3GB free if you install it on iOS and let it do your camera roll backups. So I have a total of 10GB which is plenty. I do use photo stream with my Apple TV but that's not exactly considered iCloud I don't believe.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
we are at 8GB... but we have three devices being backed up.

I am sort of undecrain how Apple justifies giving the same storage to a person with ONE device as they would to a person with ten. I mean I KNOW how they justify it, but still. Sucks.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I am sort of undecrain how Apple justifies giving the same storage to a person with ONE device as they would to a person with ten. I mean I KNOW how they justify it, but still. Sucks.
It's simple really. If you can afford to own ten iOS devices you can afford to pay for extra storage to meet your needs.

iCloud is awesome. I wouldn't want to rely on any other cloud service.

jr866gooner

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
How much of Icloud do you use?

About 300mb at the moment. Only backup device settings and a few games/apps to icloud.

I would backup more or even utilise it better if it were a little more flexible in terms of what you can backup/restore at times etc.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Not much. Mainly back up to my MBP and use Google Drive for file storage. Occasionally I'll do an iCloud backup just to have another copy but it's rare.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's simple really. If you can afford to own ten iOS devices you can afford to pay for extra storage to meet your needs.

iCloud is awesome. I wouldn't want to rely on any other cloud service.
That would be the justification. To the consumer, though, it's a ridiculous one.

IMO should be per device not per account.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I use iTunes Match and have my iPad Mini backed up to it. I can't use it to backup my iPhone because it exceeds the allowed 5GB of space.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
17.6 out of 25.0 GB used

Primarily device backups (4x iPhones, 6x iPads).

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
we are at 8GB... but we have three devices being backed up.

Are there many individuals with 10 iOS devices? Families, yes. But with family scenarios, there are privacy and control issues when everyone shares the same iCloud account (ditto for iMessage and FaceTime) - ever have a spouse or kid delete your contacts when they clean up "their" contacts list, or receive your iMessages because they accidentally (or intentionally) added your email address to their "You can be reached by iMessage at" list?

I look at iCloud as a personal solution, not a group solution. Let each family member have his/her own Apple ID for iCloud/FaceTime/iMessage/Game Center, then they each have 5GB. (They can still share a common iTunes Store account.)