How much of memory do you actually use? 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I know that there is a lot of talk about a 64GB iPhone 5, and how that's a big deal for people.
    My question is, how much of the apps, music, videos, etc. do you guys actually use in a daily basis? Especially with iCloud and being able to transfer apps on the go, how necessary is it to have 64GBs? And why?

I still have an 8GB iPhone 3G, and have a bit less than 1GB left over (couldn't fit in TomTom). But i have all the songs and playlists i listen to in a daily basis, I have the Podcasts i listen to as well. I have all the apps i use regularly, and honestly some i barely use. I have all the photos i take and like to see.
    I guess i'll be getting the 16GB iPhone 5 this fall, and I can see myself filling up the device about half way.

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Honestly, with 16GB IP4, I regularly have over 10 GB available, and the only reason it's that low is because of TomTom.

I don't use my phone for any media or anything. It's too important to me as a communication device. The last thing I need is to have a dead battery when I need it because I've been listening to music or watching videos all day.

I easily survived with at least half memory free on my 8GB 3G

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Always full.* I put what I need and then I fill the rest with my photos. When I get a bigger phone that just means I'll have more photos with me.

* ("Full" means I have 2 GB free for shooting videos or downloading new apps...I have some wiggle room but that's it.)

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I try to keep mine as clean as possible but with Navigon I have around 12gb free on my 16gb version. Any files or photos I keep off my phone using dropbox to avoid clutter.

5. gpc17 macrumors regular

I have 4 gigs left on my 16GB iPhone 4... Enough for me..

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

yep same.

i would be much happier just syncing everything to my phone instead of picking and choosing what i want to sync.

a 64Gb + iPhone would be ideal for me.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

32Gb is adequate for me right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want 64 GB or more.

8. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Mine (32GB) is filled to the brim with music. I have a huge library at home and typically sync my playlist maybe twice a month.

I listen to my music at work and during my daily commute to/from work and don't really care much for Pandora (Company's WiFi blocks me from streaming anyway). I'm sure if they gave me a 64GB option, I would fill that one up too.

Hell I had my 160GB iPod Classic filled to the brim back when I had it. What can I say, I love my music. :D

9. jonter19 macrumors member

I, myself, have a 32GB iPhone just because I love to have all of my media with me at all times. Do I listen to every song I have? No. But there will be a day when I have a song stuck in my head and it will always be on my iPhone to listen to.

I also like to keep a few movies and TV shows stored just in case I'm bored or have a few hours to kill.

In the end, I could absolutely live with 16GB. My iPad is 16GB and I've never come close to filling it up. It just never hurts to have extra storage.

10. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

Currently, I have a 32GB iPhone 4 with 14GB remaining, but I don't have any movies or music at all. My music will fill the rest of my device, so my quarrel is this: do I go for a 64GB iPhone, or get a 32GB for now and an iPad down the road for movies? I travel a lot, so movies are DEFINITELY mandatory.

11. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I usually have well over 15gb available. That's with 1000+ songs, 100 apps, 100 pics, how ever many videos I need and whatever else. With icloud coming I don't see the need in 64gb. I have a 32gb 4 and it's literally all I can do to keep it halfway full.

12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I've never filled the capacity of any iPhone I've had, let alone any phone (with an 8GB + storage capacity).

Will be getting the smallest capacity iPhone 5 for sure.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

My 16 GB iPhone 4 is always full, mostly with pictures and videos. I don't even try to put music on it (have a 16 GB iPad for that, also full). I wanted to return the iPhone and get the bigger model, but it would have been tricky since they weren't in stock at the time last June. I decided I would wait it out and use my yearly upgrade to get a 32 GB model (minimum) when they released the next iPhone revision.

14. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

My 32GB iPhone 4 has 1GB spare. I like to have alot of music and audiobooks on my phone.

I am hoping for 64GB next.

15. motty2307 macrumors regular

I'm at about 14GB out of 32GB on my iPhone 4. That's about 1600 songs and 2 movies for me. I'm glad I didn't have just 16GB to work with since I would almost be full at this point. With that being said, I don't think I'd fill up a 64GB hard drive, but I wouldn't complain if I had one :)

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Pretty much me to a tee, and I have a 32 GB iPhone 4. This is with going through everything and deleting stuff I might not use.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My 16GB iPhone is jam packed. I try to leave 1GB free for trying and installing apps but there are so many good ones (and I'm picky) that I end up filling it up and having to prune my app collection. My music library is already larger than the phone can store so I have to be selective about what lives on my phone. I don't store many videos on it unless I'm traveling by air. iCloud can't come fast enough for me.

All that to say that I'd probably be fine with 32GB for a year until it was full. So I'm definitely down for a 64GB iPhone (if not for the sole purpose of bumping all the sizes up and reducing the price per GB).

18. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

My music collection is ~350GB, nearly all lossless. With the 256kbps AAC files from iTunes Match and a 64GB iPhone 5, I should be able to have most of my library with me.

19. pyro008 macrumors 6502

With no lossless music, I have 39GB of music. I'd love to be able to fit it all on an iphone and still have room for apps/pictures etc. And none of that converting to 128kbps crap, anything below ~200 sounds like **** to me.

20. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

With a 16gb iPhone, I have about 8 GB left. It's mostly apps since I only have like 80 songs and a few videos.

21. truciet macrumors 6502

surprisingly this, i've running out of space quickly with my 16gb iPhone 4.

I've been shooting a lot of videos lately (kids stuff - karate class, school, etc) and holy crap does it fill up. 30 minutes of video is almost 3gb!

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

My 32 is nearly full. I leave a little room for photos and video, but I have a ton of music and a few movies on mine for when I travel.
    A 64 would be sweet and I am also interested in seeing how having 'cloud space' will affect things.

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

11.2 GB available. I used about 18 GB of the original 29.1 GB available. My videos fills up the most at over 7 GB. Have 72 episodes of Family Guy from Season 4-7. Also plenty of YouTube videos downloaded from MiTube and home videos. Took out all the XXX stuff to save 4 GB. Music is at 1,085 at 4 GB. Songs are all converted to mp3 at 128 kbps. The rest is 82 apps not including the default ones and over 2,000+ photos at about 6-7 GB combined. I never want to dip with less than 3 GB available. Keep it fast and room for emergency. About 20 GB is good enough for me. Videos are the main storage killers especially if they are in HD followed by apps specifically certain games. I notice I lose memory everytime I update my apps.

25. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I have only 1.4 gb left out of my 32gb iPhone 4. I would like a 64gb or more iPhone 5. Most if not all, my storage is filled with apps. I don't used them all nor daily. I don't manage much because it takes time and am busy with work,etc. With the iCloud, not sure how it may help. Both of my iPad 1 and 2 have 64gb storage and are half full.