How much of my hard drive can I keep synced between multiple Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arvinb, Jan 4, 2013.

1. arvinb macrumors member

I have 3 macs that I would ideally like to keep as absolutely synced as possible: a 2010 i7 17" MBP, a 2011 i7 27" iMac, and a Hackintosh. They were all restored from the same Time Machine backup, so at least recently as 2 months ago they had the exact same contents, from apps to documents to settings (that was compatible with the machine).

Currently I'm using Chronosync to keep the Desktop synced as I keep most of my work there, but I'd like to sync, well, as much of everything as possible. I do basically the same job on all three (video and graphic design) so if I install apps on one or tweak settings on another I'd like it synced across the rest.

Which folders are safe to keep synced among the Macs, and which aren't? Applications? Library? System? Etc.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would learn how to setup your iTunes Library to a NAS using the steps listed in the ARS article How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS. Then linking all the Macs to the same iTunes ID account and set all the iTunes Library to that NAS, in all you Macs.

3. arvinb thread starter macrumors member

Since these are mostly work macs (or rather 2 of them are) the iTunes library is the least of my concerns as far as keeping stuff synced. I'm talking about how to keep the 3 computers as identical as possible, eg apps, preferences, documents, the whole enchilada.

Oh and two of the macs are in the office, one is at home (the macbook, which I can take into the office).

Btw my current solution is just syncing the desktop via an external hard drive that I shuttle back and forth between machines, and using chronosync.