How much of my system to back up to the cloud?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EssentialParado, Nov 5, 2013.

1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I have a crashplan unlimited account and have been backing up my Applications folder and my User folder, but is there anything important outside of the User and Applications folders that I should also be backing up?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

The way Apple does unless you go out of your way to store data elsewhere you're getting pretty much everything except the system library application support folder.

3. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm… That's what I thought, but Crashplan says there is an additional 40GB of data. I feel like system files alone wouldn't be that large. :/

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Something crazy going on there my whole install is not that large. Open terminal.app and use this.

Code:
    MacUser2525:~/Bin$ du -h /Library/Application\ Support/
    4.3M	/Library/Application Support//SIMBL/Plugins/Safari AdBlocker.bundle/Contents
    4.3M	/Library/Application Support//SIMBL/Plugins/Safari AdBlocker.bundle
    4.3M	/Library/Application Support//SIMBL/Plugins
    4.3M	/Library/Application Support//SIMBL
     11M	/Library/Application Support//Techspansion
    2.8G	/Library/Application Support/

To see what it tells you are the directories taking up the most space. As you can see mine only uses 2.8Gb.

5. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

OK thanks, just typing in that command now an-… ALL MY FILES ARE BEING DELETED!! WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A… just kidding.

It seems to look pretty normal to me. I don't know why Crashplan is reporting so much stuff. Maybe it's trying to upload my virtual memory... :roll eyes:

Will de-select the entire drive and only select the relevant data: Applications, Users, and Library. Thanks! :)

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Your welcome.