How much of the iPhone's appeal is Apple stores/support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If my iPhone breaks, it's easy for me to go to the Apple store and get a warranty replacement (or repair if breakage is my fault). That's good peace of mind.

Is this possible with Android phones? The Nexus 5 is an incredible deal at $349 unlocked, but if I needed it replaced or serviced, I don't think I can walk into an AT&T or T-Mobile store for a replacement or repair.

How much of iPhone's appeal has to do with the support infrastructure in place?

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

It is actually a major part of why I stick with apple.I am ocd and anytime I have something break down I must have it fixed immediately so their great customer support really helps.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

For me it's a small part of it. My main love for iPhone/iOS/OS X is how nice and easy everything just works together. My mom recently got a Galaxy S4 and it was a bit of a hassle migrating from the S3 and getting it to just sync music to her PC.

As far as support, I do like that, at least with AppleCare+ I can just go to an Apple store, or call them up, and have one swapped out with a certified Apple refurbished, or maybe even new, iPhone. One that usually has better quality than the one I just got rid of.

With any other phone, if you have the carrier's warranty, you're stuck with the stuff they sent you, which in my experience, rarely works out.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well it must be working because in this age of increasing online-only Apple is building more stores.

Google and MS are trying to imitate but they can't.

5. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Whats with people throwing "ocd" all the time?

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Apple is part of it for me too. I still have not had service like Apple's from anyone else yet. Funny how Apple has changed over the years. Years ago I used to be the only one in the store, now it is swamped all the time (about the only thing I don't like). When I have had problems, the service has been great--but I have had VERY few problems. So yes, I am a fan-boy, but only after straying to check out the other side of the fence . . . :apple:

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any question on appeal, depends on who you ask. It's a plus in my book but not a major deciding factor.

Same thing with people throwing out and misusing any other word/term. While I suspect that g4manimac is misusing OCD, how do you know that g4manimac isn't OCD?

8. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

It's a big part for me too!

----------

No idea but some people barely know the reality of it!

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's a big part. Apple does everything, so Apple supports everything. Buy a Galaxy and you have a software issue. Does Samsung support it or does Google? If so, where is a Samsung store or a Google store?

It's almost relatable to cars. If Walmart sold Ford, GM and Chrysler but didn't really support them much, would you buy one if you had to ship off your car to another state to get it fixed "quickly?" Noooooo! I had enough nightmares with HP notebooks back in the day to know better. I can't say I have ever had a computer/iDevice problem that Apple didn't have a fix for. Even the 4-year-old MBP that was about dead could've been fixed for about $300, but I decided to use that toward a new iMac. I've had a few iPhones replaced straight up under warranty in about 15 minutes.

I honestly don't think people understand how much of a myth the Apple "tax" is. It's called you get what you pay for. Amazon likes to put Kindles on commercials and just say "Look, square tablet. Look, iPad. Square tablet cheaper than iPad." Anybody out there met an Amazon employee before or know where to find one?

10. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

None for me. There isn't an Apple store within 200 or more miles of me. The only time I have ever been in one was when I saw one while I was in California. There are only 4 in my entire state.

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

It's why I got Applecare on my iPhone instead of the carrier insurance. (well, that and the price difference over time).

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't think you can go to the Apple Store with an Android phone.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

You could but I suspect they would laugh at you...

There would be no reason for Apple to help with an Android phone.

I stick with Apple for pretty much all my tech hardware, simply because there's a local Apple store (5 miles away) and I like the integration. I don't necessarily think Apple has the best product though; there are issues, but I can live with it.

if I were to go to a Dell, I'd have to live with hideous tech support from people who barely speak English, no local repair, etc.

And I'd hate to have to go to the phone store for hardware problems.

14. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

It's a huge part for me. If it weren't for apple's amazing customer support, I would be more likely to switch to android. Doesn't mean I would, necessarily, but it is definitely something that sets them apart.

15. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

The Apple store is one of the great benefits of being an owner of an Apple product. I love being able to walk into a store and being able to actually talk to people who know the product they are selling. The workshops are great, especially since they're FREE. What other store does that? Not many I know of. I also like the fact they help setup your device before you leave. I've had a friend buy an android tablet and get home not knowing what the hell to do with it. He went back to the store and they wanted to charge him about $50 to setup his device! And to get a 1hr training session is $150!!! Outrageous! I've been a One-to-One member for a while now and all I paid was $99 to get as many 1hr training sessions as I want in a year. I can even get support and training at any other Apple Store around the world. The device is certainly a great product, but the retail experience really is the icing on the cake.