How much 'other' memory is being used on your iphone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by arranjenks, Sep 22, 2012.

1. arranjenks macrumors member

Since i updated to iOS 6 my 'other' memory usage has shot up to 1.29GB!?!?!
    it had ALWAYS been under 0.5gb on iOS 5.

I went through and cleared safaris cache, history etc.
    Even deleted the apps that had huge amounts of documents and data, and re-installed them so it was a refresh.

Went to bed last night and i had got my 'other' down to 1.13gb, woke up this morning, synced one song, and now my 'other' is 1.29gb!?!?

could you just post how much other memory yours is using please.
    cheers

2. DarkChoc4 macrumors newbie

Sync again

I had 3.8GB of "Other" after IOS 6 update. I took a chance on another sync in iTunes, and it cleaned itself up. Now Other shows 0.86GB and there is about 2GB more free space than there was.

HTH!

3. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Wirelessly posted

On iOS 5.1.1 I had 1.38 of Other but after iOS 6 update I now have 0.83 of Other :)

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

On iOS 6, I've noticed my Other is going up DAILY too. On my iPhone 4S, I had the same issue, until I restored, and it went back down, but would still rise daily. Now on my iPhone 5, which I started from scratch is doing the same thing. I didn't have this issue on iOS 5, and it's pretty annoying.

Exactly what is stored in Other? And please don't say App data, because that is stored under the App's respective space. I know messages are stored under "Other".

5. matttye macrumors 601

Do I have to plug into iTunes to find out? Can't seem to find anything on the phone.

6. stoney05 macrumors regular

yes, you have to use iTunes to see 'Other'

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

About 3 GB on iOS 6. Not sure but I think it's data left over from my jailbreak.

8. JuliaV macrumors newbie

I have had about 2,5GB on iOS 5.1 and after update to iOS 6.0 I had about 4GB.

And then this link helped:
    http://www.ipodrepublic.com/iphone/fixing-issue-other-files-iphone-memory/2010/03/31/

But I didn't do all those steps.
    I just marked off sync for music and removed all my music from iPhone.
    After that I had 0,0GB of music and 1,2GB of other.

It was enough for me and I transferred just one album because I was in a hurry and after the second sync the "other" went to 0,8GB.

As I heard that's the lowest as it gets because it includes messages, e-mail space and iOS.

I hope I helped.

edit: Of course if you have JB iPhone then your "other" memory is probably a bit higher, up to 2GB.

9. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

Over a 1.5 & I'm going crazy trying to get rid of it because I only have 6.4GB !

10. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if there was a single list somewhere that showed, by app, how the "other" memory as reported in iTunes was being used. I think most if not all of the "other" memory is being put to legitimate use, but a lot of people think it's "lost" memory. (To be sure, in some cases it IS lost memory.) The list of Apps and their size in General>Usage doesn't provide this info - it only gives the total for the app.

Regards,
    Tom

11. djshack macrumors regular

I have about a gig, and even with restores have never been able to get below a half gig.

My theory is that iTunes Genius data takes up that space. I update my Genius on occasion, and the sync of 1000-2000 Genius "files" takes a significant amount of time. And I don't see that being added to the "audio" category.

Perhaps someone with iTunes Genius disabled should contribute with his or her "other" space.

12. paulcdb macrumors regular

There is a simple way to get rid of the other stuff but I can't remember the program I used.

I ended up with about 20gb of other stuff after deleting video's from the iTunesU app and turns out instead of binning them the OS just moved them to a folder and renamed them. If you get a program that gives you access to the file system you can just delete them manually and recover the space.

Not sure if its a flaw somewhere but I was determined to fix it without restoring.

I'll try remember to look when I'm at the computer for the program/folder and post more details if no-one beats me to it.

13. JuliaV macrumors newbie

I have iTunes Genius disabled and my "other memory" was still big.

I think it's usually full of media that wasn't deleted correctly.

Or I also read the post about lady who just had a child and send a lot (but really a lot) of MMSs. And her "other memory" has jumped form 2GB to 4GB in a few months. It's because iPhone makes copy of these photos even dough they are in Camera Roll Library.

She deleted her messages and deleted music and the "other memory" went to 0,5GB.

14. Teatowl macrumors newbie

Been going mad over the size of other files for ages but found a simple fix. Jailbroken iphone 5 32g. I downloaded filecounter from cydia which shows you where your biggest file is located. Turned out it was a movie sitting in ifile trash that i thought I'd deleted.

/var/mobile/Library/iFile/Trash/var/mobile/Documents/Downloads

I had about 6g available but when I deleted ifile trash I now have 21g free. I was at the point of giving up but this has rescued my jailbreak as I was getting tempted to restore just to get some space back. I registered to let you all know about this and hope it can help some of you. Good luck.

15. Favabean macrumors newbie

There is a easy way to clean up your "other" storage on your iOS

There many sources for this other storage, temporary files from various apps, bad syncing data etc.

There is an easy way to clean this up, go to google and search for phonclean, it is a nice piece of software that can clean out your other storage for iOS.

16. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

Thx I will try it out later. Looks good and simple.

Normally I delete FB, Tweetbot and Instagram and install them again to get rid of the cache

17. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Close to 1.5 GB... Used to be closed to 2.5 GB... I think since I reduced the number of emails (most of emails have heavy attachments) from 100 - 50 it has dropped...