How much 'other' space do you have on your devices?

warrior30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Something that has always remained a mystery to me is the 'other' space that is taking up disk space on the iDevices. I understand that most of it is system software related, but why does it differ so much from device to device. It always seem to continually grow just by synching to iTunes. Currently mine is:

iPhone 6 - 4.65GB
iPad 3 - 1.87GB

If you went for a 16GB device then that represents a huge percentage of space. The answer is not necessarily get device with more space, the more immediate question is what's in the 'other' space and can it be better managed. The space is a mystery to me and Apple does not make it easy to view.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Got about 4GB on my 16GB iPhone 6. Kinda wish I went with the 64GB iPhone 6 now. All that 'other' space drives me INSANE.

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits.

warrior30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Got about 4GB on my 16GB iPhone 6. Kinda wish I went with the 64GB iPhone 6 now. All that 'other' space drives me INSANE.

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits.
Drives me round the bend as well, that's why people can't believe that Apple still bring out the 16GB, it's just not practical.

You said 'Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits', how did you come to that conclusion? Is there somewhere looked for this info?

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Drives me round the bend as well, that's why people can't believe that Apple still bring out the 16GB, it's just not practical.

You said 'Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits', how did you come to that conclusion? Is there somewhere looked for this info?
Well the app size for each of those are very small (around 50mb I think?) but after some continued use, it begins caching things. My Twitter app now shows that it's almost 1GB in size. That's ridiculous!

warrior30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Well the app size for each of those are very small (around 50mb I think?) but after some continued use, it begins caching things. My Twitter app now shows that it's almost 1GB in size. That's ridiculous!
But wouldn't that come under 'app' or 'data & documents' headings rather than 'other'?

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
get the Battery Doctor app and you can completely clear that stuff up. I don't know how it works but it does. I went from 1.9gb of free space to 6.2gb without doing anything but running the app. It's crazy. Facebook had gotten up to 2.2gb. Now it's back to 180mb. Phone runs much better now, too.

----------

Also, where does 'other' show up? Is it under 'manage storage'?

warrior30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
get the Battery Doctor app and you can completely clear that stuff up. I don't know how it works but it does. I went from 1.9gb of free space to 6.2gb without doing anything but running the app. It's crazy. Facebook had gotten up to 2.2gb. Now it's back to 180mb. Phone runs much better now, too.

----------

Also, where does 'other' show up? Is it under 'manage storage'?
It's when I connect the device to iTunes and it shows up in the coloured bar indicator near the bottom.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
My iPhones over the years have always stayed lean.never more than 2GB of "other".

However the iPads are always around 3-5GB of "other"...I don't think about it much since my devices all have plenty of storage.

My Mac on the other hand has tons of "other" space being wasted and that drives me nuts at times.