How much 'other' space do you have on your devices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warrior30, Oct 21, 2014.

1. warrior30 macrumors newbie

Something that has always remained a mystery to me is the 'other' space that is taking up disk space on the iDevices. I understand that most of it is system software related, but why does it differ so much from device to device. It always seem to continually grow just by synching to iTunes. Currently mine is:

iPhone 6 - 4.65GB
    iPad 3 - 1.87GB

If you went for a 16GB device then that represents a huge percentage of space. The answer is not necessarily get device with more space, the more immediate question is what's in the 'other' space and can it be better managed. The space is a mystery to me and Apple does not make it easy to view.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not too much you can do about it as it is just part of how the software works. It is a good reason to not get a 16GB device.

3. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Got about 4GB on my 16GB iPhone 6. Kinda wish I went with the 64GB iPhone 6 now. All that 'other' space drives me INSANE.

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits.

4. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

Drives me round the bend as well, that's why people can't believe that Apple still bring out the 16GB, it's just not practical.

You said 'Twitter, Facebook and Instagram seem to be some of the culprits', how did you come to that conclusion? Is there somewhere looked for this info?

5. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Well the app size for each of those are very small (around 50mb I think?) but after some continued use, it begins caching things. My Twitter app now shows that it's almost 1GB in size. That's ridiculous!

6. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

But wouldn't that come under 'app' or 'data & documents' headings rather than 'other'?

7. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

get the Battery Doctor app and you can completely clear that stuff up. I don't know how it works but it does. I went from 1.9gb of free space to 6.2gb without doing anything but running the app. It's crazy. Facebook had gotten up to 2.2gb. Now it's back to 180mb. Phone runs much better now, too.

----------

Also, where does 'other' show up? Is it under 'manage storage'?

8. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

It shows under apps on the phone itself, but when plugged in to my Mac, it shows as 'Other' on iTunes.

9. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's when I connect the device to iTunes and it shows up in the coloured bar indicator near the bottom.

10. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed before reading it I would of assumed those files would make the apps section grow too

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

My iPhones over the years have always stayed lean.never more than 2GB of "other".

However the iPads are always around 3-5GB of "other"...I don't think about it much since my devices all have plenty of storage.

My Mac on the other hand has tons of "other" space being wasted and that drives me nuts at times.