How much overheating is normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katanae, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Katanae macrumors member

So after playing say a half an hour of N.O.V.A or a similar game, the back of my 4 becomes pretty hot, I of course can't describe how hot but does your iPhone become not warm but relatively hot after heavy usage?

2. BudgetBaby macrumors member

How do you know it's 'overheating'?

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

I started using my 4 with Navigon, after a 3hr drive on charge too its extremely warm

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

If you think of the processor like a wheel that turns constantly. If you play a game, that wheel needs to turn more quickly causing more friction. Friction causes heat. The faster the wheel has to turn the more heat is generated.

As for how normal this is, I think the only time I'd be alarmed is if I physically couldn't touch my device due to the heat, or if the warning screen came on asking for you to let it cool down.

I too find mine gets hot after using TomTom but so far I have never seen the overheating warning screen on any of my devices even when running navigation for a few hours and the device does feel really hot.

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

My phone gets really warm if I have GPS on and I duck into a weak-reception area.

If I go into low RF region WITHOUT GPS, it doesn't overheat.

why...? Is it constantly looking for a network more intensively when the aGPS needs info?

7. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Your phone still needs to up its power to get a signal in weaker locations regardless if it's on GPS or not. Since you said it gets hotter with GPS and low reception and not when GPS is off but low reception. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?