how much power can a computer send out to speakers?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Keebler, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hey there,

quick question: a neighbour wants to run itunes to 4 speakers, mounted in walls, what would a computer need to do this? a specific video card? I wouldn't need an amp right?

They wouldn't be using a mac - a pc.

any ideas? Is it feasible to connect 4 speakers to an aiport express? would that work?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Speakers are connected to an amp, not the Airport Express directly. This is how all stereos work unless its a mini-plug computer speakers. No audio card is needed (I think that was a typo right?).

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

ok..so unless the speakers are powered themselves, they definitely need an amp.

i thought if you had a great audio card, you could connect them directly to the computer, but as you can see, i'm not a jedi in these matters. :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope, even the best sound card (or Airport express) is outputting a line level or headphone-level signal, not an amplified speaker-level signal.

Your friend's best bet might be to recycle a stereo amp or receiver that has been made redundant by a 5.1 home theatre system. Most stereo amps or receivers have 2 pairs of speaker outs. Just jack the computer or AE into the CD input of the amp, and away you go.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks CRam.