How much power will this drain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by team 79 krunch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

I want to put a Hitachi Travelstar 5K500 500GB hard drive into my 17" 2.6GHz MBP. It's specs are listed here: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A53487/

I am wandering how much faster my battery will be drained if I install this drive?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It won't drain any faster because the power requirements are about the same as any other HDD. I would go with the Samsung which is a bit faster and surely will fit in any computer if you ever decide to move the drive to another computer.

3. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

If I use time machine to backup my current HDD to my Time Capsule, when I upgrade my HDD what do I half to do?

I think I will have to install the Leopard DVD and use the Migrate feature, as if it was a new computer? is this correct?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would use SuperDuper or something like to clone the HDD to the new one and then install it. Of course you would load up the Restore DVD, select Restore from Time Machine, connect to the network and restore from the Time Capsule, but this method might be slow. No need for migration assistant.