iPad How much protection does an iPad need?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iPadAddict1, Dec 4, 2014.

1. iPadAddict1 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an iPad Air and I want to buy a case for it, but I'm unsure of exactly what type of case. I had the original iPad before, with a thick Otterbox case, but that case completely destroyed the sleekness of the iPad and after a while it got quite dirty around the sides of the screen. I want to get a lighter case, something like Apple's Smart Case, but at the same time I don't want to end up with a cracked screen from dropping it. Would the Smart Case provide sufficient protection? I will be using the iPad every day, and it'll be moved around a lot.

2. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

Better to have than not have!

Here is the case I have settled on. It's slim and give good "Ding" protection. In fact once my IPAD drop out of my backpack about four feet and was safe. But to each his own there are tons of options. Just search Amazon and read the reviews. It fun to shop for cases anyway. But again I would go with this as a case that combines all your needs to some degree.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXC4CYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No case is going to guarantee that the screen won't get cracked no matter what. Ultimately you have to make whatever call you think strikes the best balance for your between lack of bulk and added protection. This really applies to any device -- not just the iPad.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Agreed.

5. Alex225 macrumors regular

I've come full circle with my thinking on cases for my iPhone's or iPads.

Used go for maximum protection with Survivor or Lifeproof cases but aesthetically they've rubbish but very protective. Then I realised I really look after my devices even with these monster covers.

So I've opted for slimmer less impact resistant covers that leave the slim design of the devices more apparent. Don't want them getting scratched but don't need 6ft drop resistance either!

IPad Mini 3 is in an Apple smart case which is ideal and iPhone 6 is in a X-Doria 360 case. Both still slim and protected. So far so good!

6. bearwrestler macrumors regular

I think that for ipads, the protection you need is all relative to how rough you are on your devices. I usually don't take mine out of the house, so I would say that a screen protector is more than sufficient.

However, if you are planning on taking the ipad around, I would recommend a little heavier form of protection, like an otterbox or something like that. It's all about what you are going to do with it.