How much RAM can a unibody MB support?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hansiswhoiam, May 24, 2011.

1. hansiswhoiam macrumors newbie

Officially it's 4GB, right?
    How much can I actually put in there?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com
    • By using Mactracker (hasn't yet been updated with 2011 models)
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

3. hansiswhoiam thread starter macrumors newbie

It says it's 8GB, is that really true?

4. luisgab macrumors newbie

I have mine 2009 2.0ghz at 6gb of ram running super smooth

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep.

6. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

You can replace the 2x2GB sticks with 2x4GB sticks - 1 in each slot. I had a similar question before.

7. hansiswhoiam thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I did not upgrade to 8GB - there is no point for me to personally do so. You should only upgrade your RAM if you find yourself running several programs at the same time - more specifically, intensive programs. I could never fulfill the usage of 8GB now that I know more about it - I am not really sure it is necessary at all for most people - but for some, I wouldn't doubt.

Risks would include things like incorrect installation as far as I am concerned. I have not done so myself, but I hear it is quite simple to add or replace RAM in your computer, but as far as risks once you have completed that - doubtful albeit some possible defects. Whether it is worth it or not depends on what you use your computer for - and I am sorry but I am no where near knowledgeable enough to point you in the direction of a purchase.

Hope this helps.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

It supports 8 GB, however when I went from 2 GB to 8 GB, it did not make it any faster in Mac OS X programs. I suppose this is because the processor is the bottleneck. In windows 7, it made it a lot faster to have 8 GB RAM, even with the 32 bit edition.

Since 8 GB ram doesn't cost much more than 4 GB, you might as well go with the 8 GB upgrade. It's easy to install, and poses no more risk than a 4 GB install.