How much ram can I put in my Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samteacher, Jul 10, 2008.

1. samteacher macrumors newbie

I have a intel mac mini, currently with half a gig of ram and 80gig of memory. About 2 years old I think.

I want to increase the ram to around 2 gig if I can.

Is this possible?

I've seen a few guides on installing the memory but found no adive on how much/little ram I can install.

Thanks in advance.

2. rickgmac macrumors newbie

you should download mactracker. it has all the info on every apple model ever and also tells you the maximum ram you can upgrade to.

very usefull

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

All of the Intel Mac Mini's can have up to 2GB DDR2 667Mhz (PC2-5300) SDRAM. Just go to crucial.com and select any of the Mac Mini's and 2GB memory kit. You can also find PC memory of the same spec for a few dollars cheaper at newegg.com.

This is listed by customer reviews as Mac compatible.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231116

4. obdave macrumors member

Actually, you can put a total of 3GB in a Mac Mini. That's what I'm running in mine right now. I am not sure of the RAM configuration (which chip goes where) because I had an Apple shop do my upgrade for me.

When I first got my Mac Mini it seemed to swap a lot when I had several applications open, so I asked the shop to max out the RAM. Memory is so cheap these days, why not? My machine runs much more smoothly than before.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If it's a Core Duo, then you can put two 1 gig sticks in it.

If it's a Core 2 Duo, then you can put a 2 gig and 1 gig for 3 gigs, or two 2 gigs for 3.1 gigs. The advantage of the latter is you retain matched SO-DIMM performance for your video.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's funny both crucial and Apple-history list all the Mini's at 2GB. I guess this is one of those unofficial maximums. Like how Sawtooth G4's were listed at 1GB max but the sale of 512mb SDRAM meant they could actually use 2GB.