How much RAM can my macbook SEE

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by istinkles, Apr 28, 2009.

1. istinkles macrumors member

I have a refurbished black macbook. I bought it late 2007, so i'm guessing it's a mid-2007. I searched macrumors and other sites but i can't get a definitive answer. I know I can put 4gbs of RAM into my mac. But will it be able to actually SEE AND USE all 4gbs? I have to 1gb chips in it right now. And if I upgrade, will it make games like Spore or World of Warcraft run smoother?

UPDATE: I do have the mid 2007 with the GMA 950. So does anyone know a way I might be able to force the mac to use all 4 gbs. I know that might not be a good idea. But please post a tutorial if you know how.

2. istinkles thread starter macrumors member

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It has a Calistoga chipset, so it can only see 3.3 (or so) gb of RAM.

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

The Santa Rosa Macbooks came out around November 2007, so if you have one of those the max it can "see" is 4GB. Easiest way you can find out if you have the Late 2007 (Santa Rosa) or Mid 2007 model is if your CPU/Processor is 2.16GHz (mid-2007 model, which can "see" ~3.3GB RAM) or 2.2GHz (Late-2007 Santa Rosa which can "see" 4GB).

Either way though, if you upgrade to 4GB it won't help World of Warcraft performance that much :(. The main limitation is the Intel GMA950 or X3100 graphics card. The increased memory will help with multi-tasking though if you do a lot of that :).

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The early c2d's can 'see' 4 gigs, but only use 3 and change. Go under activity monitor and add the ram amounts under free, wired, active and inactive. That will tell you how much your computer actually uses.