How much RAM did 2.4GHz come with?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iPhone1182, Jun 8, 2009.

1. iPhone1182 macrumors member

3 Days ago I bought a 2.4GHz 13 inch macbook unibody with 4gb RAM and 250GB hard drive. I don't remember if it came with the 4GB or if I upgraded it by added 2GB.

I am asking because I want to return and get the macbook pro but I hear I can't if I did an upgraded configuration!! HELP

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

With the option of 4... right?

4. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

SHOOT! So I can't return it???!???

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

w0rd.

You may be able to in this case, they'll credit you the difference as well assuming it was installed by Apple. If you did it with 3rd party RAM, just put the factory sticks back in.

Sorry, I should have said the standard model was 2GB, but it was available with 4 as an upgrade.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

what do you mean?

7. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

Wait i'm confused. I thought no computer that was upgraded as in my case a RAM upgrade can be returned.

If I can and they will "credit me the difference" what do you mean by that, what difference? And I got it configured by apple online last week.

Sorry for my stupidity just help me here guys! thanks

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Okay.

The base price was $1599. The RAM add-on was $100. You can return it and get your $1699 back, minus a 10% restocking fee assuming you've opened/used it.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

YOUR confusing me! haha!
    You should be able to return it... Or you could always keep the RAM and return it "as stock"

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

He can't keep the RAM as it was a BTO/CTO laptop. The RAM was in there from the factory in this case.

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I thought I heard around here before what he originally said about not being able to return a "built" MacBook...
    Who knows tho it was just something someone was saying on the forum...

To the OP, Any questions like that Apple is always your best place for answers..

12. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

I sure hope you're right that I CAN return it, but I gotta be the devil's advocate:

For iPhone returns, please refer to the iPhone Return Policy section below. For eligible Mac, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom-configured or personalized to your specifications

2. Personalized iPods
    3. Opened memory
    4. Opened software*
    5. Electronic Software Downloads
    6. Software Up-to-Date Program Products (i.e., software upgrade subscription product)
    7. Apple Gift Cards
    8. Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
    9. Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

Can you tell me how my situation does not apply to the above statements from apple?

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

iPhone1182, I thought you were right originally but as I said call Apple... Thats your best bet!

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Guess that's what I get for not actually checking up on it....hope you enjoy it =\

Been posting too much too quickly tonight, I'm slackin' :(

15. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

The thing is I DID call them and they already sent me the fedex return labels. However, I am worried the guy on the phone failed to realize that I upgraded the RAM, and that they will send the macbook back to me when they get it.

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you tell him it was 4GB as per your online order?

17. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Id call again man just to be safe!
    Thats alot of unneeded transportation for a laptop. (especially if its gonna just get shipped back to you, lot of room for something bad to happen to it, these FedEx guys dont know/care whats in the box most the time)

18. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

I did not. I didn't know about the configure-return policy until after I was on the phone with him.

But he did have my weborder number and thus my computer order which said 2x2GB RAM. So he didn't notice i'm guessing.

Should I ship the computer ASAP before they realize they messed up?

I hope they take it anyway even if they realize, the damn computer is discontinued, they can still use the 4GB RAM for parts.

19. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Read what I posted above... I just think its alot of unneeded travel for your laptop to go through if in the end your just gonna get it back... Just call dude!

20. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

I see what your saying but I'm afraid if I call the person will realize. And there wouldn't be chance that they would make an exception because they messed up.

21. RDM3 macrumors regular

Is it really worth all the hassle of returning it for the newer model? You bought the Mac 3 days ago and you were happy, it could do everything you wanted, so keep it and enjoy it.

22. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This is a valid point as well!

23. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Call RIGHT BEFORE you ship it and double check.. If they say they messed up then you pull the "Well I already shipped it. Isnt there anything you can do for misinforming me?"
    haha ;) maybe they will hook you up!?

24. RDM3 macrumors regular

And maybe they won't? Is it worth the chance?

25. iPhone1182 thread starter macrumors member

If it goes through I'm planning on buying the 15 inch macbook pro, it would be less then I spent I the computer I have now. This is why I'm going through all the hassle.