How much ram do I need for my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jimlee4262, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jimlee4262 macrumors newbie

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Ok so here's the stuff. In addition to how much ram I need, I want a website where I can buy the ram too. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

32GB?

How the hell should we know? That depends entirely on your needs. I have 4GB RAM in all my Macs, and sometimes even that is not enough.
    But I have up to 20 applications open at the same time (currently 18).

Apple officially states that the machine can take up to 2GB RAM, but unofficially it can hold 4GB, but can only use 3GB of it.

found here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-core-2-duo-2.16-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html

You need 200pin 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM, found on Newegg, OWC and many others.

Kingston and Crucial are reputable brands for RAM.

More shops via http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...5300+DDR2+SDRAM+200+pin+macbook&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Your MacBook can use up to 3GB. 2GB should be fine for most things. What are you using the MB for?

Newegg and macsales can sell you 2 1GB sticks for a reasonable amount.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I also agree to maybe find your exact machine at other world computing and buy 2, 1 GB sticks, for 2 GB total. I think you'll be impressed by the speedup.

5. jimlee4262 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I used that MB for 2 years with 2gb of memory. Ran fine. You can get more if you want, but it's not a necessity.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

8. jimlee4262 thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked the company gskill and said that my macbook can only hold up to 2gb of ram. This is what they said. I probably am going to get 2 gb since 3 gb would be useless. Here's what they wrote.

According to our records, your Apple MacBook can only handle up to 2GB of memory, 1GB per slot. As a result, the best memory package for your computer is the G.Skill FA-5300CL5D-2GBSQ

This is a 2 x 1GB memory package that should maximize your laptop memory speed and capacity. Here is the direct link to that item: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231158&Tpk=FA-5300CL5D-2GBSQ

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Officially it only supports 2GB. I have had 4GB working in mine (3GB visible to the OS) but 2GB should be OK too.

10. jimlee4262 thread starter macrumors newbie

so the 3gb would work or no? I know that the macbook would fully use 2 gb but i don't know if the macbook would fully use the 3gb.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It will work as has been shown to work in many other MacBook2,1 like yours. You may not need more than 2GB. I would consider 2GB the minimum today, however.

12. jimlee4262 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. Thanks for the info. i think im gonna get the 3gb. I think my macbook will detect it and use the ram to its full potential.