How much RAM do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacRookie44, Nov 13, 2010.

1. MacRookie44 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am taking the leap from windows to mac, and I am literally a novice when it comes to anything mac. I am going to buy the base model macbook, and i was just wondering how much ram do i need to run snow leopard well? I am not a gamer, and will be using the mac for mostly internet use, some downloading(but going onto external hd), and running the average amount of applications. So 2gb or 4gb?

Also, is it practical to run windows on a mac, using bootcamp? I know it uses a partition, but does having two OS on the computer, ie how will this affect performance? Would I just be better off with snow leopard?

Any help is appreciated, as I am quite unsure what to do!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No matter what you do, don't buy RAM from Apple. I would just get the base model and then upgrade if needed. Keep your eye on Activity Monitor to oversee the memory usage.

Bootcamp does not slow down your performance. If you want to run Windows with OS X (virtualization), then it may cause slow downs and you will definitely need at least 4GB of RAM so it'll be smooth

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

You can definitely run SL with 2GB of RAM. 4GB will be much better and can be had rather cheaply if you go 3rd party. Also, listen to Hellhammer :)

4. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

If you can factor 4gigs into you computer budget get it, you will not regret the purchase.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Extra RAM is always good, but your MacBook will manage quite well with the RAM it comes with.

6. MacRookie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys - appreciate the help. So wheres the best place to buy ram? (i literally have no clue!)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member