how much RAM do i need?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by McDLT, Aug 22, 2010.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

Waiting for a 6 core to arrive. I ordered 2x4GB RAM from Crucial and plan to keep 2x1GB Apple RAM in there for a total of 10GB, but don't know if I should upgrade further. My main uses are photo and video editing, mainly photos, so tons of photoshop and a fair amount of fcp.

2. nxfxcom macrumors regular

"Video Editing"
    So do you fire up Autodesk SMoke in the Morning, Final Cut in the Afternoon and some after effects at night ;)

I assume just iMovie? Either first i have 2 thoughts:

1. I would not mix modules of different sizes, just from experience, it often causes problems

2. Second i would suggest for anything a min of 8GB

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Keep your eye on Activity Monitor, more precisely in the page outs. If you have a lot page outs and a big swap file, then it might be wise to consider upgrading the RAM but 10GB sounds just fine

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That is a good start and essentially leaves you w/ two upgradable slots. So if you do find that 10GB isn't enough you have an 8GB base to build on. The only thing worse than not having enough RAM is paying for RAM you'll never use -- especially when it's the top dollar RAM that the MP uses.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With 4 slots used, doesn't that leave the OP with no additional slots to use?

6. Fiete5401 macrumors regular

Yes, but he could easily throw out the 2 stock 1 gb sticks and throw in 2x 4 gb or 2x 8 gb.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

OS X loves RAM. The more you have the more it uses.

Even with 32GB installed I still get page outs.

8. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much what I was thinking, that unused RAM is a giant waste. On the other hand it makes no sense to cripple such an expensive machine over a few hundred dollars.

Would there be a significant performance improvement from 2 more 4GB sticks, or 16GB total over 10GB?

9. strausd macrumors 68030

I wasn't aware the 1GB sticks would work with OWC 4GB sticks...

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The new modules for 2010 MPs do but the old ones for 2009 MPs don't. However, 8GB modules won't work with other modules.

11. strausd macrumors 68030

Well sweet! Now I got 20GB :)

12. Altimeter88 macrumors member

When it comes to RAM...more is ALWAYS better. Basically you can NEVER have too much RAM.

LOL...I couldn't resist, get so tired of hearing this.

But yeah, basically what has been said by others above, fire up whatever program, FCP, Photoshop, Aperture, etc. you plan on using for the task at hand and check what Activity Monitor says under System Memory in the Used/Active portions. This will give you some idea of what your actual memory load is currently with your program of choice running and will help you decide on the proper amount.

Give yourself a little bit of headroom, consider the number of DIMM slots available and plan your RAM purchase accordingly so that if needed you can expand later without having to purchase all new DIMMS just to add a few more GB of RAM.

FYI, I have an 06 Mac Pro, I use Aperture to edit large RAW files from a Canon 5D Mark II, and I edit small HD video projects with FCP etc. and the 8GB of RAM I have installed has always been adequate for my needs.

I am building a new 6-core hackintosh that will have 12GB of RAM installed which is more than I need but the price was right at $269 for 3x4GB so I went for it.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

8 gigs isn't that much. 16 gigs is a comfortable level although I'm sure I'd eat that up too if I had it.

Just having Maya and Photoshop CS5 open together (which is essential since Maya links with Photoshop) will max out my 8 gigs.