How much RAM do you think I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salocin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. salocin macrumors newbie

Ok I defenatly know I need more RAM.

[​IMG]

I have a Mac Book Pro 2012 with 4 GB Ram.

The picture above shows my memory during normal usage, clearly seeing how little is free and how many page outs i have I need more. But i'm not sure how much more. Will be 8gb in total enaugh?
    Thx for the help
    salocin

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If those page outs represent your normal workload conditions, 8GB should be more than sufficient.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

3. salocin thread starter macrumors newbie

4. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I think that the difference between 2X4 and 2X8 GB in terms of $ is not so much.... why not directly the max allowed?

5. simsaladimbamba

16 GB is costing about twice 8 GB costs, even if it is "only" 40 €.

If 16 GB are not needed, why purchase it now?

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

and then in 2 years when he will need more RAM? best choice is 16 if you are not on a budget IMHO

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you like to run Mountain Lion and keep several apps open, the browser tabs open to a few high content sites, A large Aperture library open, and one or two VM running, you will quickly use up that 16GB of RAM.

Otherwise 8GB is plenty, but there are a couple more specialized apps that just love RAM.

8. simsaladimbamba

I know that, I have 16 GB RAM and could easily use 32 GB RAM, but I probably use applications the OP does not use, but may or may not use in the future, or similar RAM hungry apps.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Not much to you may be much to others.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And in 2 years, if more RAM is needed, it will be cheaper than it is now.

11. salocin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Yeah I will get 8 gb 16 is overdoing it. I don't really use many ram hungry apps sch as video ediiting or photoshop. Just like to have a lot of tabs open ins afari + some more apps, plus some menubar apps which are always open...
    thx