Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Ok, so I have a mid 2007 Macbook 13". I know that Apple claims only up to 2 gigabites (with it coming with two 512k (or something around that number) chips which is wht mine has, the standard).

Ifixit is claiming up to 3 gigs for my computer (saying a 1 gig and a 2 gig together should work).

So my question is was it just unwritten that my laptop supported 3 gigs? If so what RAM do I need to get for it and if I just got a 1 gig or a 2 gig ram chip and left one of my 512's in would that work (cause I don't really want to be throwing too much money at my computer but if I could just replace one of those 512's with a 1 gig or better yet, 2 gig chip I might).

Also, on a slightly unrelated question, is the headphone jack replaceable (if I can even find htat part. Already found a fan for it plus the keyboard of the next macbooks after it that have the itunes controller. Yeah, lots of stuff broken on my computer and since I'm taking it apart deciding to do everythign at once)? I think mine's been iffy for a while (it's been annoying me but it really just occured to me that since I'm fixing everythign else I could fix that. I've taken for granted that that is broken as well). Though I'm not sure I can find instructions on that (ifixit has something about an i/o port frame replacement instructions but not sure that is what I'd need).

(I'm so nicknaming my computer frankenmac after all this is said and done. Already replaced the hard drive a while back, heh).

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm sorry, a new headphone jack does not a Frankenstein make.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/68829/1/frankenstein?h=31171c

There's mine. He's actually named Frankenstein, and is in fact up for sale right now.

Anyway, yes, it supports 3 GB. Yes, you can use one 512 MB stick and one 1 GB or 2 GB stick.

The headphone jack is not technically replaceable, but my iBook's is soldered to the logic board with plenty of space around it, so it's possible to desolder the original and solder in a new one given the necessary skill and tools.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'm sorry, a new headphone jack does not a Frankenstein make.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/68829/1/frankenstein?h=31171c

There's mine. He's actually named Frankenstein, and is in fact up for sale right now.

Hey, give me a break. Replacing my hard drive has been the only thing I've ever done myself on my computer (so all of this is going to be a lot more tinkering than I usually do) :p. And hey, I'm upgrading hte keyboard so I'm not replacing everything with what came stock. Sux about the headphone jack. Ah well, hopefully I'll be finding my better job this year and this computer just needs to last me one more year (also depending on if Apple comes out with a tempting enough 13" to replace it).

Can I at least call my "gateway" a frankenpc (I had my friend pretty much rip out everything including motherboard the gateway came with and replace it all. We just kept the case and maybe I think the sound card)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.