how much RAM does osx use on your mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by magius, Jul 30, 2007.

1. magius macrumors regular

heres my activity monitor, keep in mind its been on for 2 days straight. i'm guessing that "wired" memory is the amount being used for system processes? is 600 mb normal? i am using these widgets: istat pro, wikipedia, dictionary, weather, calculator, converter, translator, clock, and book bot.

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-07-30

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Hmm that does seem like a lot of memory in use. I haven't turned my computer off in about three days, and here's what I've got:

Safari, iTunes, iChat, and Mail running.

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-07-30

I guess maybe you should restart.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Here's mine for a reference --just using the net in these forums that's all. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

5. Zel macrumors regular

Each widget uses around 30 you can see under the "Real memory" column. It's crazy enough that I closed most of them.

I never have free ram though, Azureus expands to the available memory.

6. magius thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for trying to help, guys. i'm just curious whether anyone with 4 gb on a mbp could chirp in? about half an hour after resart (i keep forgetting to check right after! ugh), my wired memory is @ 472. everything runs smooth, don't get me wrong, but it seems a little high relative to the above posts. does osx rationalize using more ram because i have more ram?

also, i'm thinking its normal, but no harm shoving in an aside.... seems you can't stop osx startup times from lagging slightly from their initial speed (mine was around possibly 19 sec. under, but now is around 22-30, i guess its okay as long as i don't hit anyting drastic like a minute or such).

7. magius thread starter macrumors regular

ugh, expected, considering what i was doing, but ugh. hopefully sr's max ram is actually higher than 4, and i need a faster hard drive (don't like caring an external EVERYWHERE), considering i'm working with large files in print and film.

anyway, would would still be interested in 4 gb 2.4 mbp user's activity monitor and mem usage after a fresh restart!

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-08-02

8. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

@magius
    205 MB Finder :eek:
    --
    Do you have external hdds/bootcamp partitions with ntfs or fat32? I noticed that everytime i reboot spotlight (mds) reindexes the drive and slowing down my mac for some minutes. I created the file ".metadata_never_index" (google it) on my bootcamp partition and now my mac boots faster and doesn't use as much ram as before after booting.
    I normally have pageouts after working with parallels a lot, but usually i have something like this (runtime ~20h)
    --
    do you have any haxies installed? I had bad experiences with some of them.

Attached Files:

9. magius thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that.... srange, when i relaunched finder prior to applying the fix, my finder footprint decreased to normal too, but i applied the fix anyway as I am working with ext. hds. here is a new picture of my system after a fresh restart, wired still seems a little high..... any thoughts, guys? B)

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-08-04

10. masterfu macrumors member

masterfu

The only time I have that high of a percentage of my memory taken is when I'm running Parallels or something. Out of 2GB, I'm rarely using more than 1.2GB.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm atm 263mb is 'wired' got 922mb free, i dont have finder open but safari does take up about 150mb

12. magius thread starter macrumors regular

what really kinda tweaks me is how high my 'wired' is relative to others, i am curious if this is something i need to look into or if others (especially with 4 gb ram) are also noticing this? my 'active' memory is usually normal (safari, tranmission, dashboard running - around 200 mb... confirmed this by adding up all active processes, its the same), but i havent seen my 'wired' dip below 400 yet.... i don't understand.... anyone who can offer some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

13. comongoose macrumors newbie

I have a regular 2.2 ghz macbook with 4 gigs of ram and my wired is always around 400-600 mb/s and with vmware open its like at 1.3 gigs.

14. MacAgent84 macrumors member

magius, that amount of wired memory sounds normal. I have 4 gigs of RAM installed, and usually my wired memory is around 600mb while running Safari, Mail, iTunes, Dashboard, etc. Are you noticing any performance problems?