How much RAM for Mac mini? Display requirement?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by amin, Jun 23, 2008.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

My sons have been arguing too much over use of the iMac which they share, and recently they have taken over my MacBook:

[​IMG]

I am considering getting the 1.8GHz Mac mini. This machine will be used only for web surfing to kid-specific website that have flash based games, YouTube, etc. Two questions:

1) Is the base 1GB of RAM enough for the operating system and web surfing?
    2) Will the Mac mini drive a 24" 1920x1200 LCD (DVI)?

Thanks,
    Amin

2. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

To Question 1, yes... that will be fine (although a lot of people on here seem to think that a computer can't operate without 4GB haha...)

3. HackBook macrumors member

To Question 2 - yes the Mini can power a 24 inch 1920x1200 display.

4. ADent macrumors 6502a

1 GB is fine if you are only doing one thing at a time.

It runs my 24" monitor fine.

5. munckee macrumors 65816

You'll be FINE. I'm running a 1.5 core solo on a 24" monitor for surfing and watching movies. I just last week upped it to 2GB of ram, and only because I found it on sale for a price that was just dumb not to. Otherwise I would have left it at 1GB and not worried about it.

On a side note, the upgrade was MUCH easier than I expected after reading all the horror stories about "cracking open a mini". Took about 25 minutes start to finish.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yes, and yes. Your kids aren't running going to be needing any intense applications, so more than 1GB isn't necessary, and a 24" monitor will run on the Mini just fine. BTW, cute kids ;)