How much RAM for Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aditghai, Mar 25, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I am getting some more RAM for my MBP(Currently 2 GB) and wanted to know if Vista will run smooth with 2 GB RAM assigned to it and OS X will also run smooth the same time(with 2 GB RAM)

Right now, I have 2 GB with 1 GB assigned to each OS and sometimes performance is slow because many apps are opened in each OS. You think 4 GB should be good enough or should I go for 6 GB(I read somewhere in the forums that 6 GB can be handled by the Santa Rosa MBP'S)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd suggest at least 4 GB, or more if you can afford it. Vista is a massive memory hog. Better yet, dual-boot to Vista or use XP instead.

3. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

No no-I hate having to restart the computer to use windows. So is 3GB each good enough?(Total-6 GB)

4. gathart macrumors regular

why not use windows xp? i am sure a friend or relative has a spare copy

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It should be, yes. I would still advise you against trying to virtualize Vista at all, though.

6. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Don't listen to him. Vista is good, there's nothing wrong with running Vista. It's more stable and secure than XP. The one thing I hate about Apple is the anti-Microsoft, anti-Vista PR.

As someone who actually has used Vista since beta 1 I've tried it with 1, 2 and 4gb of ram. 1gb for Vista will run slow, but then again so will OSX or any modern OS. 2gb is perfectly fine. You won't allocate 4gb to Vista in Parallels but Vista runs really well on 4gb.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't mind Vista, although I don't see it as an upgrade over XP, except perhaps in terms of eye candy. I'm just saying that virtualizing an operating system that is already so heavy is an exercise in frustration.

8. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

Use Windows 7.....surley You Can Find A Copy(wink Wink)....patch It And You'll Be Ready To Go....its Sweet By The Way.. Very Fast On My Imac 2.66 ..im Using #7057 Just Mainly For A Game

9. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

how are you gonna get 6gb of ram into a mbp? (presuming your current computer is the one in your signature)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That model takes up to 6GB.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think the more RAM you have. the better. you ARE virtualizing an OS - especially while running OS X under it, if you can afford more RAM... why wouldn't you get it?

i think you will be fine with more than 2GB but would you rather have more and not need it - or not have enough and need it?

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

You'd be fine with 4 GB. 6 if you want to be a baller.

Have you tried VMWare Fusion? IMO it works waaay better than Parallels.

13. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ok, so i've got the 2.2Ghz macbook that was out at the same time as that, which was santa rosa too. does that mean the macbook could take 6gb aswell?

14. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I run XP (occasionally) with VMware, and only dedicate 512mb ram to it.. Works great... No problems.

15. Cap41 macrumors 6502

16. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think Windows has ever run well on 512 KB of memory. ;)

512 MB is perfectly satisfactory for XP, but the OP seems to want Vista for some reason.

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yes.

We have a Santa Rosa based iMac w/ a 2nd generation Merom CPU that runs 6GB natively without any problems in OSX.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to know the maximum RAM for any Mac model, get MacTracker. It will give you all the specs on every Mac made.

19. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

thanks for the link, thats very interesting. 6gb? so i could use a 4gb stick and 2gb stick, or two 4gb sticks so they're a matched pair?

EDIT: just checked crucial, and one 4gb stick is £630! think i'll stick with my idea of upgrading to 4gb with two 2gb sticks, at a nice £40 :)