Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've settled on purchasing a 2.8 8-core Mac Pro with the minimum 2GB RAM form Apple. I'm planning on purchasing more RAM from OWC once I place my order with Apple.

It's hard to cut through all of the different situation regarding RAM and what a person needs, so I thought I'd give a maxed-out personal scenario and see if what you think I need under the hood.

I can see myself running Final Cut Pro 6, Adobe After Effects, DVD Studio Pro, Safari, and Photoshop (only light work in this program) simultaneously pretty frequently.

I would expect that at least two of any of these programs would likely be in use at all times.

I was planning on going with 8GB total. Do you think that will be enough? Is there a recommended minimum for all of these put together? Maximum?

I know "you can never have too much RAM" but I'm not rolling in dough. However, I am willing to make a sacrifice if the minimum is above what I was expecting. What do you guys think?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'd go ahead and start out with 4. Should be plenty. I do similar stuff with 4 (2.6 GHz) cores, and 4 is plenty for me.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I'd say 4 would be a solid minimum, 8 would probably make a difference during your heavier usage and more than that might see diminishing returns except for your most intensive usage.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Thanks for the quick replies!. I think I'm going to be going with 8GB to be on the safe side.

I was always told that the answer with RAM is to ALWAYS buy the maximum amount that you can afford to purchase. You can never have too much RAM.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Thanks for the quick replies!. I think I'm going to be going with 8GB to be on the safe side.

The great news is that you can go with 8 and still have room to expand later. BTW, congrats on your purchase - I just got my 8x2.8GHz Mac Pro this week and I'm in a geeky heaven!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I was always told that the answer with RAM is to ALWAYS buy the maximum amount that you can afford to purchase. You can never have too much RAM.

You CAN have too much RAM in the Mac Pro though hehe.

Now that RAM is so cheap, historically, and is the single biggest performance bang for the buck for most users, yes you should max out your RAM (within reason like the Mac Pro mentioned earlier)

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You CAN have too much RAM in the Mac Pro though hehe.

Now that RAM is so cheap, historically, and is the single biggest performance bang for the buck for most users, yes you should max out your RAM (within reason like the Mac Pro mentioned earlier)

Mac Pro RAM is not cheap. However, since I've had my OWC RAM for only a couple months now, the 8GB kit has come down by $80...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.