iPad How much RAM in the new AIR and Mini2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HKPDW, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HKPDW macrumors member

2. princebig7 macrumors member

same here need to know this!

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

So same for both mini retina and iPad air!! 1GB? :confused:

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The SoC does not decide the RAM...

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple has used package on package since at least the A6. RAM is inside the SOC.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I'm guessing this will end up being the difference between the Mini and Air...they wouldn't put identical innards in the two. My bet is that we'll see the Air with twice the RAM. The Air has to benchmark better when the reviews hit or it'll be criticized quite a bit...

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

We probably won't know for sure until some website does a "tear-down" of the new iPad Air and Mini.

10. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

11. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Honestly I don't think most of the people complaining about ram would even notice the difference between 1 and 2 GB's of RAM. If you were handed an iPad, one with each, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

And before you say 'Well, I'd load up as many apps / web pages as possible and see which goes longer without refreshing' of course you could figure it out by deduction, but I don't think you'd notice with regular usage.

Not trying to be an Apple apologist, honestly. I hope it has 2GB, I think it'd future-proof it a bit more, but it isn't a deal breaker.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

To borrow from another thread, if the air becomes the not heavy duty model, the new heavy hitter will have more ram and processor. That just begs what else an iPad Pro would have.

13. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah, my guess is the reason there was no A7x in the iPad Air is because they're saving that for the 12" that will come out sometime next year. That will be the new flagship. Hence why the Mini and Air are basically the same tablet now

14. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

My guess is that the graphics engine in the A7 is more than capable of handling the retina iPad screen.. Nothing about this iPad pro and the A7X.. Oh, and they will both have 1gb of ddr3 ram

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I want more ram. Because I use a lot of games and it seems as of I can't go from app to app before they have to reload from scratch. We want the ability to keep more apps in memory so that it doesn't have to load each time.

Is it a 1st world problem? Yes, but its a valid reason to want more ram.

16. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

This

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Had no idea, if that is the case and they wont increase it it means Apple do not care about the bigger iPad anymore. They can't seriously have the same hardware in the iPad Air as in the Mini 2 and charge more for it. As Ive himself said, it requires more engineering (and thus cost) to put the same power in a smaller package.

Unless there is some major difference is clock speeds between them the iPad Air is looking like the smallest update to the iPad to date.

I get app crashes daily due to lack of RAM, and tabs reload way too often after switching apps.

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

When geek bench is ran, it tells you the clock speed and the RAM. The app scans this.