How much RAM is recommended for the MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dominordelingua, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dominordelingua macrumors member

I'm going to be getting a MB soon. How much RAM do you think I'll need for college use? (running movies, email, word processing, keynote presentations)

2. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Im in my dorm room right now for orientation as i type this. I got the one gig but you should just upgrade to the 2 gig yourself its cheaper and easy.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

2 gigs for just doing simple stuff and rare photo editing (real photo editing - Photoshop/GIMP stuff :eek: )

I have a 2.5 GhZ MBP stock (2 gigs) and I almost never need more. There was only once or twice when I was working with really large files. :cool:

Besides, you can always upgrade in a year or two when common applications will use up more ram.

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

2G minimum. I would highly recommend dropping the cash and just maxing out the RAM.

5. Paperflyer macrumors newbie

I use VMWare Fusion on my MacBook. If you are using more than two operating systems in parallel, you would want to have more than 2 Gb.

Hence, I have 4 Gb, which is arguably overkill for a mere 2.1 GHz MacBook, but it was sooo cheap...

6. iTronz macrumors member

For general use such as word processing, movies, music ect I would get 2GB. If you plan on running virtual machines and running apps like photoshop then get 4GB as it is pretty cheap for ram these days.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

can someone please clarify that a merom macbook can only hold up to 3 gigs? i bought my macbook in august of last year. it is a 2.0 C2D.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm new to Macs so I'm not 100% sure, but this wikipedia says it is "useable" up to 3.25. It sounds right that it would be able to address 3 gigs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbook

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The answer is here on this forum

http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

It can hold 4 GB but cannot address all of it...

10. machacker macrumors regular

Will Snow Leopard or a future version of OSX be able to handle all 4 GB? I have 4 and I want it to use all of it!!!

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

2GB should be plenty.

12. dominordelingua thread starter macrumors member

would buying the baseline and then upgrading it myself void my applecare warranty?

13. Aztec macrumors regular

Nope! Apple made it so the RAM is easily user-replaceable

14. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

i would agree with get 2gb for now and upgrade to 4gb later. i just bought a blackbook last week and maxed it out to 4gb but now i wish i used that money towards applecare instead b/c although its fast im sure i could get away with 2gb for at least the first year.