Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
512, 768 or 1 GB for:
Using simple programs simultaneously(sp?) such as iChat, Mail, Safari, some word processing software, etc. Nothing big like Photoshop.

If I were to get photoshop in the future, will it run well with 512 RAM or is it easy to upgrade RAM?

Thanks,
Matt

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iMatt mini said:
512, 768 or 1 GB for:
Using simple programs simultaneously(sp?) such as iChat, Mail, Safari, some word processing software, etc. Nothing big like Photoshop.

If I were to get photoshop in the future, will it run well with 512 RAM or is it easy to upgrade RAM?

Thanks,
Matt
RAM is EXTREMELY EASY to install! like a 2 minute percedure ;)

I'd get another 512 stick since there is 512 soldered to the mobo, to equal 1GB with that you'll be able to do iChat, Mail, Safari, and Word/Pages very well, if that isn't overdoing it, but if you are going to be doing those + photoshop get a GB stick to equal 1.5GB RAM

Hope that helps :)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Well I was hoping not to spend too much. Is it really easy to open up an iBook and put some RAM in?
I've opened up an IBM and it's easy but that has nice easy buttons to open up the case. ;)
What's required? Unscrewing stuff? :confused:
You don't think 512 is enough for the basic apps?
I doubt I'll be getting photoshop.
I could always upgrade later I suppose.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iMatt mini said:
Well I was hoping not to spend too much. Is it really easy to open up an iBook and put some RAM in?
I've opened up an IBM and it's easy but that has nice easy buttons to open up the case. ;)
What's required? Unscrewing stuff? :confused:
You don't think 512 is enough for the basic apps?
I doubt I'll be getting photoshop.
Oh, well all you need is to pop up the keyboard.. VERY easy.. then unscrew four screws and pop it in..

512MB will do good.
Anything above really is overdoing it for what you are describing.
But the 1.5GB makes everything very snappy.
If you are unsure, get an extra 256MB to be sure. :)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I read somewhere that it only has one slot though...is that true? I was thinking about buying another 512 but that would be a waste if there's only one DIMM. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iMatt mini said:
That would be my recommendation. Get your beauty of an iBook and use it for awhile. See if it feels ok or if indeed, it feels sluggish for your needs. Then think about getting more RAM. I'm glad that that was the way I went w/ my PB.

And I'm pretty sure that the new iBooks come w/ 512MB soldered and another empty RAM slot.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
iMatt mini said:
I read somewhere that it only has one slot though...is that true? I was thinking about buying another 512 but that would be a waste if there's only one DIMM. ;)

It's true, one DIMM. But, there is 512 soldered on. So getting a 512 would put you at 1gb. My rev a PB has 640 ram in it and I can do Photoshop stuff just fine, even with my 867mhz G4. So I don't see why 512mb ram on a faster processor would be a problem. I mean, its not speed machine, but I've used it for some pretty heavy (100-200mb files) editing since it is part of my major at school. I would say get it with 512 and if later you need more, buy more. But like I said, you should be fine doing pretty much anything you've described with ease on 512mb.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Well I have an HP Laptop right now, with 512 RAM and it works fine. And that's running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, ImageReady, Firefox, GAIM, Outlook Express and iTunes at the same time.
So I think I should be good. :cool:
Thanks for all the help everyone! :D

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
As i HAVE a new iBook and HAVE upgraded the RAM i can conform.. 512 is SOLDERED to the motherboard + an empty slot... ;)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
That's good to know, thanks!
I just don't understand one thing about Mac's. I have an HP laptop right now, with about 3.00 GHz Processor, so how do Mac's only go up to like 2.0 GHz on a PowerMac? I would think a PowerMac would be more like 4.0 GHz :rolleyes:
Is there like a conversion I don't know about or is it the same rate as a Windows based PC would have?
Basically, how does an iBook's 1.33 GHz compare to my laptop's 3.0 GHz, is it really less than half the speed?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
iMatt mini said:
I just don't understand one thing about Mac's. I have an HP laptop right now, with about 3.00 GHz Processor, so how do Mac's only go up to like 2.0 GHz on a PowerMac? I would think a PowerMac would be more like 4.0 GHz :rolleyes:
Is there like a conversion I don't know about or is it the same rate as a Windows based PC would have?
Basically, how does an iBook's 1.33 GHz compare to my laptop's 3.0 GHz, is it really less than half the speed?

It's a different type of processor made by IBM. IBM can't make it faster, as it has heating issues once it gets into the higher speeds.

As for your situation, I wouldn't get a 512 chip. If you going to do Photoshop your going to want the 1.5 gigs of RAM, and if your not then you really don't need a gig. So if I were you I would buy a 256 chip, and if I got Photoshop, then I would get the 1 gig chip. Take into consideration, that if you buy the 512 chip, and want to upgrade soon after, then you have to get rid of the 512 chip. Your most likely going to lose money when you resell the RAM. If you got the 512 chip, you investment would be really small, yet it would be useful for the apps you use.

Personally, I like the third party vendor, datamem.com. Although they aren't the cheapest, they make really high quality RAM, and have excellent service.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
iMatt mini said:
You guys have been so much help so I might as well ask all my questions here:
Is it worth it to upgrade the HD space or is 40 GB suitable?

If you need a bigger hard drive, I would definitely do it through Apple. It is very difficult to upgrade the hard drives on an iBook, and it will void the warranty if they can tell you didn't take it to a Apple Certified Technician. Often times there are extra screws that don't go back into the right holes, which tips Apple off. Basically, if you want to do any type of internal video storage, or use Final Cut Pro, then I would upgrade to a larger drive. How much larger - it depends on what you plan to do.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iMatt mini said:
You guys have been so much help so I might as well ask all my questions here:
Is it worth it to upgrade the HD space or is 40 GB suitable?
I think most people will ask whether or not you have an external HD and if not, then they'd either tell you to upgrade your HD or get an external one. Personally, I'm not tech savy so I would just pay to have a larger HD... but that's just me. :eek:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iMatt mini said:
One thing you have to understand about Macs: You can not compare the proccesors. AT ALL.

I mean, seriously, they are completly different in every way and form, ask anyone on this forum and they will agree with me.

Even though the Macs are not clocked as high as the Intels, doesn't mean they don't go as fast or faster ;)
PLUS
you have the Mac OS X Tiger -- Stable, fast os

I can't really explain it well, i'm just saying that the PowerPC proccesors are NOT comparable to the Intel/AMD procceors because they are COMLETLEY DIFFERENT, even the AMD and Intel processors are differnt, I'm just saying, you just can't compare them :)

Hope that helps! :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
devilot76 said:
I think most people will ask whether or not you have an external HD and if not, then they'd either tell you to upgrade your HD or get an external one. Personally, I'm not tech savy so I would just pay to have a larger HD... but that's just me. :eek:

Do know this... 14GB is taken off the HD right when you buy it, from Mac OS X Tiger + iLife + Languages (can be removed from Decoliazer (sp?) )

I'd get 60GB if I were you, I got 80GB on my 14"

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
That is exactly what I wanted to know. I was pretty sure they weren't the same because I wouldn't think Apple would cheap out on us like that. :D

Is it easy to take my iBook to a "Genius" and have them install a bigger harddrive without losing my stuff or should I just buy a bigger one now :p
If it's possible, how much do they charge for parts and labor?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
iMatt mini said:
That is exactly what I wanted to know. I was pretty sure they weren't the same because I wouldn't think Apple would cheap out on us like that. :D

Is it easy to take my iBook to a "Genius" and have them install a bigger harddrive without losing my stuff or should I just buy a bigger one now :p
If it's possible, how much do they charge for parts and labor?

Buy it now. It's a much better deal, put you don't have to deal with the hassle. It's just going to cost you more in the long run.

lilstewart92 said:
One thing you have to understand about Macs: You can not compare the proccesors. AT ALL.

I mean, seriously, they are completly different in every way and form, ask anyone on this forum and they will agree with me.

Even though the Macs are not clocked as high as the Intels, doesn't mean they don't go as fast or faster ;)
PLUS
you have the Mac OS X Tiger -- Stable, fast os

I can't really explain it well, i'm just saying that the PowerPC proccesors are NOT comparable to the Intel/AMD procceors because they are COMLETLEY DIFFERENT, even the AMD and Intel processors are differnt, I'm just saying, you just can't compare them :)

I would disagree with that. Apple thinks their processors are sub-par, as why would they switch to Intel if they didn't. Obviously, Apple believes that Intel makes better processors in the short term and the long term, otherwise why would they do the transition. You buy a Mac for the Operating System, not for the processor.

Is Tiger fast on the current processors - Yes

Is Tiger a lot faster on Intel Macs - Yes, according to the current developers it is.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Apple.com said:
* • 512MB DDR333 SDRAM built-in
* • 60GB Ultra ATA drive
* • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
* • 12-inch TFT XGA display
* • 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
* • ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
* • Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
* • AirPort Extreme built-in
* • Bluetooth 2.0 built-in

Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping
Subtotal $994.00
Any comments, suggestions?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iMatt mini said:
Any comments, suggestions?
If you want to take advantage of the printer rebate and/or Student Union rebate, then you have to have the iPod and printer on that same "receipt."

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Well my iBook doesn't seem to qualify for the iPod rebate:
The following computers qualify for this offer: all PowerBook models, all iMac models, all Power Mac models, and all iBook models excluding the 12-inch iBook CD.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iMatt mini said:
Well my iBook doesn't seem to qualify for the iPod rebate:
The following computers qualify for this offer: all PowerBook models, all iMac models, all Power Mac models, and all iBook models excluding the 12-inch iBook CD.
Yours does... the iBook CD refers to a now "extinct" model which is not even able to write CDs, you can only read CDs... your model is the 12" Combo drive and as such, would still qualify for the rebate if you wanted to go through w/ it.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
speaking as an ibook user... 768 is good enough for tiger/panther.. i never had any problems or slow downs and if i did it was b/c i was trying to batch file a song from garageband and chat with someone on ichat so that was my fault... but yeah 768 i think is the "norm" now in the mac community

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.