How Much Ram Will Bootcamp recognize with Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olletsocmit, Oct 21, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I currently have a 2010 i5 MBP. It has 4gig's of ram right now. I am running a dual boot (Windows 7 with Bootcamp). I need this for my job. I want to upgrade my Mac to 8gigs. Will Bootcamp recognize all 8 gigs of ram when running Windows 7??

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

If you use 64bit windows it will be able to use all of your ram.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You'll need a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to utilize the 8GB of RAM.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

32-bit Windows 7 is limited to 4GB.

64-bit Windows 7 depends on the version:
    • Starter - 8GB
    • Home Basic- 8GB
    • Home Premium - 16GB
    • Professional - 192GB
    • Enterprise- 192GB
    • Ultimate- 192GB

5. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

When I boot to Windows, I see all 8 GB of RAM.

But here's a question.

Using the TRIAL version of Parallels, I cannot seem to ever reach a state where the slider operates to move the bar beyond 1 GB.

Is this just because I am on the trial, or am I missing something?

I think that with 8 GB of RAM on the machine, I might want the virtual machine to be using 2 GB or maybe even a little more.

6. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I figured it out.

The trial version of Parallels allows you to manually configure the amount of RAM you want the virtual machine to be using for the Windows OS.

Very impressed with the Parallels trial. Some amazing stuff in there.

Even with Parallels closed and not in the Mac's memory, there's a Windows applications folder that instantly starts it up just by the user's choice of opening an application in that folder.

Very easy to use.

You'll queer your battery life all to hell, of course, on any machine with discrete graphics because opening any Windows application forces you to the high performance video.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

To change 95% of settings in Parallels, the Virtual Machine has to be off but Parallels has to be running then you can right click on the Parallels icon in the dock and goto Configure/Preferences or go to the menu bar and change them as needed. I tried Parallels and it is not capable of doing what I need even with a 64 bit installed OS, and setting it so it is capable pretty much kills OS X performance so I just use bootcamp with xp.

8. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

There's a couple of things I still have to use Bootcamp to do...including using an analogue modem for terminal application. I've never been able to get a USB modem to work properly in the Parallels virtual machine.

There's also one company's Web meetings that do not work in the virtual machine, even though the US, UK and Indian government meetings will work.

I cannot even begin to figure it out.

But at least with the three options available to me (OSX, VM and Bootcamp), I know I will have something that will work at all times.