How much RAM will I need for regular Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coffeeinthebin, May 29, 2010.

1. coffeeinthebin macrumors newbie

I have a 128mb RAM PC laptop right now. Its really slow, and I like to be running three applications at once. I can't do that now. This is the most I want to be running at the same time on my new Macbook (when I get it)
    1) iTunes
    2) Photobooth
    3) Safari with Facebook open (on Facebook it will just be general things like scrolling down the newsfeed hahah), Picnik.com open to edit photos.
    4) iWork
    will the general 2gb ram be enough for this or should i pay extra for 4gb??

2. celticpride678

You'll probably notice better performance with 4 GB of RAM.

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

You could easily get away with the base 2 GB RAM, though ever since getting my current MBPu with 4 GB, I refuse to buy anything with less. However, I run what you do plus Photoshop, After Effects, Nuke, Shake, Final Cut Pro, and Maya a bit, as well as a few occasional games.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You'll be able to manage fine with 2GB of RAM.

5. coffeeinthebin thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean, fine? Like it will run good and not freeze a lot? Cause I'm used to my computer freezing so much I have to force it off, and it taking 15 minutes to start up. I'm kinda expecting this to run near-perfectly but even a little fast with few crashes would be good.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2 gigs is more than enough for the tasks you listed

They wouldn't have it standard if it really sucked

For day to day stuff, I notice hardly any difference between my mb with 2 gig ram and my quad core hackintosh with 8 gig ram

Edit: considering 4 years ago that 512mb was standard for the macbooks and i believe those were running tiger/leopard and that was for the most part fine and those initial machines could only top out to 2 gig max (and slower ram at that than what these have)

I am an advocate of buying after realizing you need it than just upgrading for the sake of having more

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You won't run into a problem with the base 2gb. I lived on that for a year doing MUCH more and never felt like I needed more.

8. GidbinN macrumors member

GidbinN

2GB of ram will be ENOUGH for what you wanted to do, I think 4GB is kinda waste for you.

Btw you can still change to 4GB later on if you really really need it.

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You're current laptop is from the stone age. You'll be blown away by any new MacBook.

10. opera57 macrumors 6502

2gb will be fine/more than enough for the majority of users. I would say go for 2gb and then you can upgrade it yourself in the future as it's really easy to do and also much cheaper than paying Apple for it! [​IMG]

11. brucem91 macrumors 6502

At the moment, it is actually cheaper to get your 4 GB RAM upgrade from Apple over other sources. Apple upgrade is $100 ($90 educational), whereas from MacSales the 4 GB RAM upgrade is $117, and a little more than that at NewEgg, and ect. But by the time he should possibly need 4 GB, prices should be down. To OP, my old MBu had 2 GB RAM, and it ran no problem, even with some 3D work, and light photoshop and after effects. So for your purposes, it will be fine. I even ran a few games on it.

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In the years before he needs 4gb of ram, the prices will have dropped like current PC1 ram.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well apple's upgrade doesn't let you keep the original 2 gig of ram

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It will run great with what your doing:D

15. brucem91 macrumors 6502

True, but what you are going to do with that 2 1 GB sticks of ram, unless you hapened to have another mac with 1 gb of ram, or a 4 slot iMac.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sell em?

17. miicah macrumors regular

Yep, they might not go for much but it's better than nothing.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, if you don't need them you may as well get some $$$ for them, even if it isn't much...

19. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Don't worry, 2GB will be fine :) I have the standard 2GB in mine, and I can run garageband, iPhoto, iMovie, Safari (with facebook open) AND Microsoft office, all with no problems :D You'll be fine, don't worry