How much RAM would you reccomend to run Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LightDemon69, Feb 25, 2008.

1. LightDemon69 macrumors member

I have an iBook G4 1.07 GHz, and am upgrading to Leopard later this week. It has 768 MB's or RAM. (256 soldered to the motherboard, one 512 stick). Would this run Leopard fine? I know that I can't expect to to run as nice and smoothly as the new Core 2 Duos, but will it still run just fine? It currently is running Panther (10.3.9), and it runs just fine. Thanks for the help.

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I say at least 1 GB works... thats all my macbook has, and leopard runs pretty flawlessly.

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I have an iBook G4 1.2 ghz. I installed Leopard on it when it had 512 mb of ram. I wasn't overly impressed with the performance, so I maxed out the ram to 1.25 gb. There was a slight improvement, but I think the things really slowing down Leopard on my G4 compared to my Intel iMac are the slower 4200 rpm hard drive and the slower, old G4 processor. More memory does help, but there's other bottlenecks to worry about, too. Don't expect miracles. It will run, but it won't be a speed demon. Tiger is faster on G4s than Leopard.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It will run with that much RAM, but I would suggest maxing out the RAM, which I think for that model is 1.25GB.

5. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys. That's what I was expecting, I just don't have the money to upgrade to a MacBook (I want to badly). So I AM going to get a 1 GB stick, and max out the iBook at 1.25 GB. When (more like if), I ever get the money I am going to get one of those sexy BlackBooks. Thanks for all the help.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

It seems to run ok on my PowerBook G4 12" with a 1GHz CPU and 768MB RAM, 80GB 5400RPM drive. My friend has had my laptop for the past 2 months though, so maybe he will be able to judge it better.

Leopard does fly on my MacBook (listed in sig) though.