Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w.t.f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi, thinking of picking up a macbook, and I was gonna upgrade the RAM. How much would be good for pretty normal day to day use? I usually have safari, itunes, MSN, limewire, and sometimes an emulator running.. I was thinking two would do me good, but anyone else have an opinion?

w.t.f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Thanks for the help, I'm running on a g5 imac with 512mb of ram right now, so it should be an improvement. lol.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
Only the Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa MacBooks can. The Napa Core 2 Duo MacBooks supported up to 3 GB of RAM.

Is this for sure? I have seen websites offering mods to get 4Gb in a 2.33GHz Macbook Pro, not sure if I can trust this though.

What will happen if I just install 2x2GB in a 2.33GHz model? Will it at least utilize dual-channel then? (That's how it works with Wintel machines.)

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Lots of posts about this on here, basically the macbook will only see 3gb of ram (about 3.3)

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
All C2D MB, MBP and iMac models can physically accept and will "see" 4 GB of RAM. However, only the SR models will be able to address more than 3.3 GB. Having 2 paired modules will enable dual-channel memory, but RW tests have shown that the speed improvement from this is negligible.

I bought 4 GB of RAM for my Napa-based iMac and MacBook, because it was only $40/stick and I figured that if I am running multiple applications simultaneously, 3.3 GB may be a bit better than 3.

Here are some benchmarks for various models and RAM configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.