how much RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stillboarding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. stillboarding macrumors newbie

I am looking at the 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro 500 GB Serial ATA drive @7200rpm Hi-Res Antiglare. I am wondering if I should upgrade to 8 GB. Is it worth it for $400 extra?
    I know you're going to ask what I do with my mac. Well, photos, mostly. But a laptop is ALL I own. Should I go all out and get everything high end or wait on the RAM? That's my only other decision left before ordering it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean you "do photos" ? That's not very helpful.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try with 4GB and keep your eye on Activity Monitor and if your RAM usage is above 75% most of the time, 8GB might be worth it

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

8GB would be worth it if your going to be running like a Windows 7 VM with like 3-4GB dedicated so it runs really well. :)
    But other wise,4GB should be enough,I'm a major multi-tasker living on 2GB and so far I'm ok.
    I need 4GB way soon though.
    2GB is not enough for OSX and a Windows xp Pro,I've tried.A better virtual machine like VMWare Fusion would be nice as well.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say that 4GB should be enough as well. Most things that require more RAM than that shouldn't be done on a laptop to begin with. But again, it depends on exactly what you are doing. If you are dealing with really large, multi-layered Photoshop documents, then you might see some benefit, but for most photo editing, 4 should be enough