How much should a furnace cost?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by McGiord, Oct 13, 2013.

1. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a 2,200 sqft home, and got an offer for a 95% efficiency 100,000 BTU furnace Single stage with a smart blower motor for $3,600. The brand is Rheem, is this a fair price? Any suggestions for reducing the price are welcome, this was the first price the contractor gave me, how much should I aim to lower the price?

Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Why not just Google prices or go to Home Depot or Lowes? Does the contractors price include instillation and removal & disposal of the old unit?

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is this a fuel-burning furnace? If so, at 95% efficiency it will most likely be condensing. How are you disposing of condensate? Is your old unit a condensing furnace? If so, you may be able to reuse your existing condensate removal system.

Does the cost include installation? Are you reusing ductwork, or getting it installed new?

Not enough information to answer the question at this point.

4. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Because the google prices are not reflecting the installation.
    And yes the prices includes the installation, removal and disposal of the old unit.

----------

My current system doesn't condensate as far as I know, however we do have a drain for the humidifier.
    The price given includes the installation, and the duct work for re-using the current one. Additional PVC pipes will also be installed, one for exhaust and one for intake air.

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

What else would a furnace burn?

Also loving that Americans use BTU. We ditched BTUs in the 70s or 80s.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

They would only "burn" a fuel, but furnaces can also be steam, hot water, or electric.

7. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Found this nice website after extensive search online:
    http://www.furnacepriceguides.com/gas-furnace/

Tomorrow I have a couple contractors giving more estimates.

I guess it will take them about 3 people in almost a full 8h day to do all the work.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I believe home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot do installs as well and might give a better warranty than a contractor. Probably worth a call if some are near your location.

9. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks for the advise. Actually the first estimate I got is from a contractor that works for Home Depot.

They work with Trane and Rheem furnaces, and Honeywell controls.

Anyone using the Nest thermostat? Does it control The Humidifier?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only concern I have here is that they don't technically do the work but hire you to sub contractors. With a GC you investigate their work, check references and have a general feel. With box box stores you really have none of that, and customer service in dealing with issues can be problematic.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't do this, but be aware of the details and get a feel of how support will be handled if he needs it.

11. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

So far I have estimates from 3 sources, all 95% efficiency gas furnaces:
    1) Home Depot: 24months 0% financing
    $3,600 single stage ECM BLOWER Rheem or Trane

$4,500 2 stage variable speed blower Rheem or Trane

2) Sears: 18 months 0% financing
    $6,300 single stage, ECM BLOWER Trane
    $7,500 2 stage variable speed blower Trane
    can price match, these initial prices are feelers for the salesman

3) Local contractor: no financing
    $2,300 single stage, ECM BLOWER Trane
    $3,130 2 stage variable speed blower Trane

Now I will start the negotiation and see how it goes.

12. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes, they do. It seems that they had improved in some way, as both salesman, Home Depot and Sears were very clear that their contractors are certified and scrutinized and all the satisfaction guarantee blah blah they always give.
    In my case, the Home Depot contractor is well recognized in the local community, so I have a good feeling about it. Sears was insistent that they are better than any other: "because their warranty goes through Sears instead of dealing with the 'manufacturer'. And have an extended warranty service that for $60/year they service the unit and if something fails they will replace it."; sound like some kind of Apple Care...
    The local contractor on the other hand is a retiree engineer with no ******** sales pitch, who obviously will have some people doing the work.
    At the end if I am dealing with the same price/features the quality of the installation will make the difference.
    I will try to get all: 24months 0% interest, 2 stage, variable speed blower, lowest price and high confidence in the professional installation.

13. mirz2000 macrumors regular

You mentioned you contacted a local contractor, but did you also call an HVAC company in your area? Around here a lot of HVAC companies offer some good deals, including service and/or a deal on furnace and A/C purchased together. One of my friends recently got a new set (A/C and furnace) for 5K with install and service deal.

Incidentally, it is possible that Home Depot is contracted with one of these companies anyway, so you could just skip the middle man and save a few bucks.

14. an-other macrumors regular

Ongoing support

Another reason to consider a local HVAC company is ongoing support. I don't know your location, but I can confirm the service calls increase significantly when the temperature drops. The last thing you want to do is have a service failure, and chase down a service man.

My experience here is the HVAC companies wrangle you into a service agreement with priority levels. The more you pay for the service agreement, the higher priority you receive for service calls. I learnt my lesson, and agreed to this "subscription service" although others may have differing views. Two days of being virtually snowed in and cuddling with the labrador for warmth is a compelling reason to pay the premium.

15. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks to all of you for your posts.

Here is a summary of what I finally did:
    - Went through Home Depot in order to get 24 month 0% interest financing. The other companies were not able to give me this.
    - I wanted a Thermostat that also controlled the Humidifier and end up looking into the Honeywell products, that they also distributed. The salesman was not aware of the latest product line up and I was able to manage a nice deal.
    http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/...tige+HD+7-Day+Programmable+Comfort+System.htm
    This is very nice as I can also see outside temp and humidity and also control everything from my iPhone!
    - They also added a return duct that was missing in my basement.
    - Rheem Single Stage 95% efficiency with all the installation and duct work, in/out PVC pipes, etc.
    - Honeywell Humidifier
    - All for $4,250

16. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

you did good. you got what you wanted and were looking for.

anything 95% plus installed from 'anyone' who is a reputable source would be in that range. you got a good deal, and a thermostat that did what you wanted. bonus!

i went with a trane unit for less from a decent local dealer. i did my own duct work, added my own 'nest' thermostat (that did not control my humidifier) and was amazed at the savings over the last year based on changing both. can't wait to change out the ac unit and see what else i can save money on. less is better. :)

only thing to add is that you should look into 'solar vents' and roofing 'ridge vents' which both saved me money and changed my life. and saved my shingle roof. and stuff... :D best of luck.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also look at getting that old house Windows redone or at least resealed. This will go along way.

18. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord