How much should I cahrge for a flash game?

GMan332393

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping you all could help me out.

I have started my own web design (Shattered Realm Web Design) company but am truly a programmer at heart (game programming). I was recently hired to design a flash game for a very well known company (who shall remain nameless). The game is very simple and will play much like KaBoom from Atari. Stuff will fall from the sky and it must be caught.

The company has an artist so all I have to do is program the game logic and put it all together to create a fully functional game with a few levels.

The deadline for the project is a little over a month away.

How much do you think I should charge? The client wants a FLAT rate for the project, not an hourly rate.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I agree with Wordmunger... $50/hr is a good rate to charge. If they're serious, that rate won't scare them off, and you'll make some good money.

EDIT: OK, since they want a flat rate, quote them 4 weeks @ 40 hrs/wk @ $50/hr. $8,000, basically.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
The only thing I'd add --- if you think you're a little faster/slower than average, I'd charge $50 per hour for what you'd say a typical programmer can do it in. If it'd take you 10 hours but you think most people would take 20, then charge $1000.

GMan332393

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
WOW

Is that really a reasonable rate for flash programming. I am new to flash programming but when it comes to game programming I am a professional.

clayj - Do you think $8,000 is reasonable for a small project like this? I'm sure you do since you worte it, but I'm just a little shocked, and extremely happy!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
GMan332393 said:
Is that really a reasonable rate for flash programming. I am new to flash programming but when it comes to game programming I am a professional.

clayj - Do you think $8,000 is reasonable for a small project like this? I'm sure you do since you worte it, but I'm just a little shocked, and extremely happy!
$50/hr is certainly reasonable... the web design firm I worked for after leaving Microsoft charged either $110 or $165/hr, depending on which staff were working on the project, so $50 is a quite reasonable figure.

When you say "a small project like this", I don't think any of us really have a good idea as to how much work will be required to program the game and test it... so that's kinda up in the air.

If they want a flat rate, I'd go with a figure that's high, since you might end up doing a lot more work than you think. If they want to pay you by the hour, the final price will be more accurate, but also variable. Personally, I don't do flat-rate charging unless I can charge more than I think will be required under even the worst circumstances... otherwise, they may take advantage of you by getting you to agree to a low flat-rate and then milking you for more work than you thought would be necessary.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
clayj said:
otherwise, they may take advantage of you by getting you to agree to a low flat-rate and then milking you for more work than you thought would be necessary.
This has happened to me with webdesign way to many times. I would suggest going hourly if at all possible. If they won't agree to that, make sure you're getting paid a fair amount for the work and the changes that might be made after the work is done. Chances are you will need to do as much work after you finish the project when all of the "No, I wanted this little button over here" comments come up and the testing/editing of your work begins.

Keep in mind you aren't usually just delivering the product. Most clients expect some kind of support after the fact. Make sure they know that that is extra and not included in the flat rate for completing the project.

GMan332393

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Thank you all very much for your advice. That is my main concern, I do NOT want to under charge them and get screwed over in the end. I am going to see if I can work out an hourly rate with them. If not I will just have to overcharge and overspecualte as clayj suggested.