How much should i charge for developing a website?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stilface, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Stilface macrumors member

I have been playing with and developing websites on my own and for friends and family for 5-6 years now, and I have gotten fairly competent, i have had requests to make websites for others but was always too busy with work/school etc.

I have now been asked by a friend of a friend for a website. They have a small business and the website will only consist of a simple browsable website, some simple javascript and css0. Nothing too databasey (yes its a word!) or anything like that. Due to charging family, i always (obviously) undersold, i have no idea how much to actually charge.

i was thinking £20-£30/h, is this too much or too little? Feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Way Under

UK Web devs are getting £300.00 per hour but undercut that to..Say £150.00PH

Talent isn't free.

3. Stilface thread starter macrumors member

£300 per HOUR? So given they are working full time, they're on roughly 500k a year? Erm.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I'd be amazed if you (or anyone) can ask £300 per hour.

I think even £300 for the entire site might be pushing it for straightforward static content. Really it depends on how good you are and exactly what you are offering. To get started, and to keep good relations with your friends, go with a price you are comfortable with. £30 per hour sounds reasonable to me.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, how long dya reckon it'll take you to do the whole site?

6. Stilface thread starter macrumors member

Well from design to completion my last site i done took me 27 hours, so 27 hours at £30/h is £810 total.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Having done a bit of freelancing work i'd say that for professional clients, don't be afraid to command a small premium for your time, and make sure not to give them a best case estimate if they ask. At the lower/intro tiers, lots of people don't know what really goes into crafting the product, so you'll have to go back and fourth, and some clients will obviously be picky and have you working all night. If possible, get a very well set outline that dictates exactly what you want and won't deviate. 30/hr sounds like a steal, depending on you're skill level. If you're doing any type of coding or hardcore scripting i'd bump that up to 60/hr in a heartbeat.

8. Stilface thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I won't be doing any scripting using anything server side, php or mysql, not familiar enough with either to use them on paid time.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

During my student days I used to charge £300 for local business sites. It's not my career but I still do freelancing; all depends on the size and purpose of the site. The last big site I made went for £250 which included a £10 a week maintenance on updating it (the owners didn't know squat about HTML or even posting updates using the admin page).
    If Grandfather Harold wants a hub site+online family record thingy site then it's going to be free or dirt cheap.
    If a local business needs this site to make money, then it's going to be more.

10. Stilface thread starter macrumors member

Are you not Underselling yourself there Dagless?

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

But They Don't

Work full time....I'm guessing the OP intends to work on his project in his spare hours.

Net Ops and Web D's ARE on £300 per hour here in the UK. Unless you want some guy who say's "Yeah I can fix that" You don't want newbies messing with corporate networking.

My business life depends on the my infrastructure and I don't have time to maintain it myself.

I pay A fully qualified Design company £300 per hour worked.